10 things to talk about at Thanksgiving

Halloween has passed, and the season of gratitude is in the air. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, we can almost smell the aroma of unlimited comfort food, hear our relatives in the distant shouting about football and see the excitement in everyone’s eyes as we reconnect with loved ones. 

However, the tender moments of thankfulness may also be infiltrated by the annual awkward questions that often amount to: Have you finally decided on a major? Do you really think you are going to get a job with that English degree? Why are you still single? Is that a tattoo? 

Here are 10 things to talk about/suggest at the dinner table that will ease the awkward silences or diffuse all the cringeworthy questioning:

Anything but politics

With the recent passing of the 2018 midterm elections, emotions will be running high and politics will be the elephant at the dinner table. Political discussion can make or break the peace. Take the safe route, avoid the political debate disaster and focus on the true sentiment of the occasion. 

Each other

During this special time of year, we reunite with family and friends we may have been distant from. Take this chance to avoid the small talk and truly connect with people. Better yet, express the positive qualities that you appreciate of them. Maybe share how much you have missed their presence in your life. Make people feel good, smile and feel approachable toward you.

New Year’s resolutions

By the time we gather around the Thanksgiving dinner table, the new year is not far away. As we say goodbye to 2018, most people around the table will have new resolutions in mind. If silence is present, take advantage of the moment and ask others about their goals for the upcoming year. Quality conversation will begin to flow as people talk of goals regarding their career plans, travel destinations, fitness ideas or personal growth intentions. 

California wildfires

Camp Fire, Woolsey Fire and Hill Fire have proved to be the most deadly California wildfires as the combined blaze has burned across 130,000 acres of land. In wake of the recent devastation, take a moment to reflect upon the families and cities that have been subject of the harrowing destruction. Above all, highlight gratitude as you are surrounded among loved ones within the moment of tragedy. 

Suggest a game

Instead of going with the cliché topics that are annually recycled at Thanksgiving, why not make it memorable with an entertaining game? After dinner is the perfect time to dust off an old board game — or gather for an amusing game of Cards Against Humanity (Grandma, you may want to sit this one out).

Old memories

Today’s generation has lost the habit of storytelling. This holiday season, remember to be thankful for the past. Add an element of remembrance by recalling anecdotes of fond family memories. People will be comforted and open up easily about life if something sparks memory. Old scrapbooks are the perfect subject of entertainment and embarrassment that ignite nostalgia while also showcasing all the naked baby pictures.  

Defining moments of 2018

2018 passed with the blink of an eye — but also came with a fair share of defining moments. Some topics of reflection that have been prominent within the past year may include the birth of the #MeToo movement, Childish Gambino’s “This Is America” music video, The Royal Wedding or the release of Marvel’s Black Panther earlier this year. 

Favorite Netflix shows and movies

With Netflix growing at a stunning rate, odds are most people at the dinner table will have a fair share of fan faves. A good discussion to pass time may arise as family and friends begin to share their binge-worthy show of choice. Good news: Netflix has a variety of Thanksgiving selections to watch with your family as you slip into a food coma.

Sports

Thanksgiving is centered around lots of turkey, gratitude, family and, inevitably, sports. Holiday meals are often served with a large side of football and shouting family members. With a variety of games usually on the menu this may be an escape route of choice for many wanting to avoid uncomfortable discussion. Tread with caution on this topic and avoid the tension with Uncle Frank. 

Be an active listener 

So, controversy arose. It’s important to keep the peace, whether your aunts are fighting over their political beliefs or your vegan cousin is outraged by the enormous turkey being served. Being an active listener is an effective skill to employ during moments of tension. Allow yourself to be open to others’ perspectives to learn something new that may cause you to question your own assumptions. 

And remember — if all else fails, it’s OK to take a “bathroom break.” 

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu