From the Editor's Desk: We're thankful for a lot

Journalists are, by nature, complainers. Oftentimes, we’re never satisfied, always skeptical, and generally too busy to rest on our laurels and reflect on the little things in life.

But as the wreaths go up on Court Street and our weird little Christmas tree goes up in the newsroom (actually, it’s been up since Halloween), we’re reminded that we have so much to be thankful for. 

This holiday season, the staff of The Post has assembled a list of just a few of the people, places and things we’re thankful for:

We’re thankful for the Baker Center custodians, who brave our mess of a newsroom every single day. The place usually smells like old Chipotle bowls and moldy coffee. It’s nasty. Thank you for putting up with us.

We’re thankful for the employees at West 82 and the Front Room Coffeehouse for accommodating our unusual cravings and late-night coffee runs. Our newsroom coffee maker has been MIA since Homecoming, so Front Room has been our saving grace.

We’re extra thankful for the production staff over at The Athens Messenger. Without them, the papers we print every Thursday wouldn’t be possible. Thank you for putting up with our past-deadline submissions, and for being patient that time when we realize we messed up and forgot to send an entire page of the paper to the printer. You guys are lifesavers.

We’re thankful for the Post Alumni Society — a dedicated group of former Posties who find the time in their busy schedules to help guide our publication, fund the odds and ends, and host an incredible alumni reunion in the spring. You’re a testament to the impact The Post has on the lives of those who call it home.

We’re thankful for the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism and the School of Visual Communication for helping so many our staffers develop the skills they need to tell exceptional stories.

We’re thankful for our parents, who, in many cases, don’t hear from us for days on end. Sorry about that.

Likewise, we are thankful for friends and significant others who have learned to deal with the peculiarities of a job that’s demanding and almost always on-call. 

And lastly, we’d like to thank our readers. It may seem like a simple act to click on a story, retweet an article, or take the time to pick up a newspaper and actually read it. However, it means the world to those of us who put a whole lot of time and heart into producing these stories. As always, thank you for giving us the simple gift of your readership.

Lauren Fisher is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Lauren at lf966614@ohio.edu or tweet her @Lauren_Fisher.