Daryl and Carol reconnected on Sunday’s episode of ‘The Walking Dead.’ (via @angelakang on Twitter)

TV Review: Eugene goes missing ahead of ‘The Walking Dead’s the mid-season finale

Sunday’s episode of The Walking Dead proved to be the first filler episode of the show’s ninth season. There wasn’t much substance to drive the plot forward, but the episode as a whole was satisfying for viewers.

Michonne (Danai Gurira) led the new group of survivors toward The Hilltop, but she was still very skeptical of them. The group struggled with among each other as Michonne continued to distrust them. When the group was attacked by a horde of walkers, they lost one of the newcomers. Michonne later sympathized with them, saying she knew what it was like to miss family.

There also was a larger mystery as Alexandria and The Hilltop seem hostile toward one another. In this episode, Michonne learned for the first time that Maggie (Lauren Cohan) was no longer the leader of Hilltop, but rather, Jesus (Tom Payne) was the reluctant leader. As Michonne and her group grew closer, they only became warier of what was ahead, with one even seeing something in the woods, but dismissing it.

Carol (Melissa McBride) reconnected with Daryl (Norman Reedus), and the two were reminded of how much they cared for each other. It was also revealed Daryl had a similar “x” shaped scar in the same place Michonne does, suggesting the two were together when the mysterious event happened. In the end, Carol was able to bring Daryl to the Hilltop. There, they learned Rosita (Christian Serratos) was roughed up running from talking walkers and Eugene (Josh McDermitt) was missing.

As the episode ended, Daryl, Jesus and Aaron (Ross Marquand) left Hilltop to find Eugene. With the mid-season finale next week, the disappearance can only mean more trouble for the communities of The Walking Dead.

Here’s how fans reacted to the episode on Twitter:

The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

@Huntergraffice4

hg551416@ohio.edu