Seven delicious vegan Thanksgiving recipes

Vegan Thanksgiving — sounds like an oxymoron, right? Whether you are new to the vegan lifestyle, have years of experience or simply looking for healthy options this year, Thanksgiving may seem difficult to navigate. Veggie eaters, have no fear. From stuffing to pumpkin pie, there are plenty of vegan alternatives that will not have you missing out on the traditional Turkey Day options. Here are a few dishes to prepare for a successful plant-based Thanksgiving dinner:

Sweet Potato Casserole

Casserole usually serves as the superhero of the Thanksgiving spread. Warm and flavorful, the classic pairs well with all other dishes and is the perfect vehicle for leftovers. Thankfully, this vegan sweet potato casserole is just as creamy and delicious as the original.

Pumpkin Hummus

So the tofurkey is in the oven, veggies are roasting, dinner is a few hours away and guests are getting hungry. Hummus is the perfect appetizer to hold everyone over. Adding pumpkin will employ an element of fall and have everyone gravitating toward the yellow color.

Warm Roasted Brussel Sprout and Quinoa Salad

“But, where do you get your protein?” Every vegan has been asked that question dozens of times. Luckily, quinoa is here to save the day and is the perfect fall-based produce, such as brussels sprouts and butternut squash. For extra protein, add chickpeas.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

This hearty Thanksgiving entrée made of a curried lentil stuffing will surely fill the house with herb-filled aromas. If you are looking for a flavorful dish to warm up a chilly Thanksgiving evening, this recipe will not disappoint.

Butternut Squash Pasta 

Mac-and-cheese lovers, butternut squash pasta is your vegan-alternative match made in heaven. The sauce is rich and creamy, without any butter or cheese. With only eight ingredients, this is the perfect recipe to add into your arsenal of plant-based Thanksgiving dishes.

Lentil Stuffing Balls

With bread and delicious fall flavors, stuffing is a Thanksgiving eater’s happy place. But this classic can easily be made vegan-friendly with a few ingredient swaps. The bite-sized stuffing balls are packed with protein and nutrient-rich vegetables, and they pair perfectly with plant-based gravy.

No-Bake Pumpkin Pie

No Thanksgiving dinner — even a vegan one — is complete without pumpkin pie. Gone are the days of passing up the traditional Turkey Day dessert. The best part about this recipe? You won’t even have to bake it. The crust is made entirely from dates, oats, nuts and pumpkin spice. Perfectly sweet and creamy, this vegan-alternative will have everyone grabbing seconds. Don’t forget to top it with coconut whipped cream.

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu