Childish Gambino quietly dropped his new release on Sunday. (via @tictoc on Twitter)

7 things you may have forgot happened in 2018

2018 was a long year filled with many crazy happenings that left people searching for more answers. As the year comes to a close, Google posted its annual most searched list. The list ranges from people and television shows to sports and music. Here are the top seven most searched things that you probably forgot happened, in order of which they happened: 

Logan Paul

It’s been an interesting year for both of the infamous Paul brothers, and though they are notorious for their rude behavior, it seems this year was especially focused on Logan. It all started on Jan. 2 when he posted a video on his YouTube channel of him and his friends going to the suicide forest and making some insensitive and inappropriate comments after they found a hanging body. The video has since been deleted, and Logan issued a formal apology for his actions and “lapse in judgement.” YouTube acted accordingly with its consequences for Logan, and the controversial creator made a television appearance on Good Morning America to talk about what happened. 

Winter Olympics

The 2018 Winter Olympics were held in PyeongChang, South Korea, from Feb. 9 to Feb. 25. The games include winter sports like alpine skiing, bobsleigh, curling, figure skating, ice hockey, snowboarding and many others. The United States had nine gold medalists, including winners of snowboarding, alpine skiing, cross country skiing, freestyle skiing, hockey and curling. There were also eight silver medalists and six bronze medalists. 

Yodeling kid

Mason Ramsey, the eleven-year-old yodeling boy who got his start singing a Hank Williams song in Walmart, quickly snuck his way into everyone’s hearts, and became one of the biggest memes of 2018. Since the initial Walmart performance, Ramsey has appeared on Ellen multiple times, performed at Coachella, signed a record deal with Atlantic Records and released a single titled “Famous.” He even performed at the Grand Ole Opry, thanks to Ellen Degeneres. Things can only get better for the yodeling kid. 

“This is America”

Donald Glover, also known as Childish Gambino, is one of the biggest artists of this generation. Between being a singer, rapper, songwriter, actor, dancer, director and producer, Glover hosted Saturday Night Live on May 5, and at the same time he released his song and the music video for “This is America.” The song was ranked the sixth best song of the year by Billboard, is nominated for four Grammys and critics were raving about the video. The video had many meanings, and though Glover refused to explicitly explain his meaning, it’s clear that there’s a focus on gun violence and mass shootings in America, along with racism and discrimination towards African-American people in America. 

Royal Wedding

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle tied the knot on May 19. The Prince of the British royal family and the former American actress had been together for about two years before their wedding day and were set up by a mutual friend on a blind date. As if their romance wasn’t romantic enough, Lifetime created a movie called Harry and Meghan: A Royal Romance that recreated their love, and the couple is now expecting its first child.

‘Roseanne’ is cancelled 

The TV sitcom that aired in the ’80s starred Roseanne Barr, who has been in pretty hot water all year. ABC announced the Roseanne reboot with the original cast that would also star Barr, until her racist remarks through a tweet that centered around Valerie Jarrett, Barack Obama’s former White House advisor. The tweet has since been deleted, and Barr issued a formal apology. Barr’s castmates and network weren’t swayed by the apology and decided to cancel the show. A few days later, ABC issued a statement announcing the Roseanne spinoff called The Conners. The show includes the original cast, excluding Barr. Barr has negatively spoken out about the sitcom, but she has decided to “stay neutral” throughout the whole scandal.

IHOP changing its name to IHOB

As if 2018 didn’t have enough going on, the popular restaurant chain IHOP announced it would change its name to IHOB. Instead of the International House of Pancakes it was to become the International House of Burgers. The world quickly found out it was a publicity stunt to promote its new burgers. The controversy over the name change certainly did drum up a lot of conversation, and the chain has since promised to never turn its back on pancakes again

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu