Alongside co-hosting with Andy Samberg, Sandra Oh could make history at the Golden Globes this January. (Photo via @THR on Twitter)

9 thoughts about this year’s Golden Globes nominations

If it wasn’t award season already, then it is now with the announcing of the Golden Globes nominations, which were announced Thursday morning. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the voting body for the ceremony, is usually pretty controversial with its decisions, and it always finds ways to spice the nominations up. As usual, some nominations came out of nowhere, where others felt very fitting. Here are nine takeaways from the Golden Globes nominations:

Honorary TV award

HFPA President Meher Tanta started the announcement by introducing a new honorary award for achievements in television. Similar to its Cecil B. DeMille counterpart, the award will recognize one person who has made a significant impact on TV. The award makes sense. A lot of focus with this ceremony is on the movies because it means more for the Oscars. Though the Emmys have already happened, it’s going to be good to put more emphasis on the television awards and how it makes an impact on entertainment.

Steve Carell didn’t get nominated

Steve Carell is having a big year with the release of Beautiful Boy and Welcome to Marwen, but the HFPA didn’t recognize him. Carell’s performance in the movie was titular and his best in recent years (yes, even better than The Big Short). Beautiful Boy didn’t go without a nomination, though: Timothée Chalamet got a nod for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture. It is debatable whether or not that should have been a lead role nomination, but that’s a whole other conversation.

Amy Adams could win her first Oscar

Amy Adams picked up two nominations — one for HBO’s Sharp Objects and another for a supporting role in the upcoming Dick Cheney biopic Vice. Adams is practically the new Leonardo DiCaprio of the Oscars, having been nominated five times, snubbed more times than one can count and having zero wins. With such a successful year, fans of Adams can only hope that 2019 is another stellar one and will start off with a Globes win.

Black Panther is officially in the best picture race

It has been a long year, and can you believe Black Panther came out this year? The HFPA sure didn’t forget as it was nominated for Best Motion Picture Drama. The first superhero to feature a predominantly black cast hit theaters in February, and it was widely received. The nomination means more in the grand scheme of the award season race. Black Panther could be nominated for Best Picture, and that could be thanks to a nominee in the category last year: Get Out

Sandra Oh could make history 

One day after being announced as the one-half of the Golden Globes host, Sandra Oh was nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series Drama for BBC America’s Killing Eve. If she wins, she will be the only Asian actor to pick up multiple Golden Globes. She won in 2005 for her role as Cristina Yang on Grey’s Anatomy, and she’s a shoo-in to win the category this year.

Streaming dominates the television categories

Streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon picked up many nods in the TV categories. Amazon’s funny, breakout hit The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel picked up three nods and Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale picked up two. Premium subscriptions also fared well, with HBO’s Barry picking up two nominations and Showtime earning a nomination in the Best Television Series Musical or Comedy for Kidding. HBO’s Westworld unfortunately only picked up one nomination for Thandie Newton’s role as Maeve. 

Primetime TV is almost nonexistent

On the flip side, primetime TV stations received very little love from the HFPA. NBC’s The Good Place picked up two surprise nominations and FX got a few with two of Ryan Murphy’s shows: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story and Pose. Donald Glover’s critically acclaimed Atlanta only got one nomination — for Glover’s role in the show. Missing from the lineup are NBC’s tearjerker This Is Us and ABC’s comedy Black-ish.

A Star Is Born 

The movie everyone has been talking about picked up a whopping five nominations, including one for Best Motion Picture Drama. Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga also received two nominations, and the song “Shallow” is up for Best Original Song. A Star Is Born marks Cooper’s directorial debut and Gaga’s first ever feature film. The movie is also a contender for Best Picture come February. 

Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg will host the Golden Globes at 8 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 6. It will air on NBC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu