The Over Hang's sign reflected in the bar's window.

How Athens bars get ready for New Year's Eve

Over winter break, many Ohio University students go home for a few weeks to spend time with friends and family. But once the new year rolls around, students bring the party back to Athens.

Many of the bars in Athens either shut down entirely or adjust their hours when students leave town for a month. For New Year’s Eve, however, the bars in town reopen and prepare for the partygoers.

“I love working over break because it’s really chill, but I love those bigger nights over break because it’s more fun,” Anja Odegaard, a bartender at The Over Hang, 63 N. Court St., said. Odegaard is a senior studying communications and diversity studies. 

Odegaar worked New Year’s Eve last year and passed out shots. Like many of the bars in town, The Over Hang schedules extra employees to work the holiday. 

Over break, The Over Hang only has one bartender working a shift, but when New Year’s Eve rolls around, there will be three bartenders and other employees working. 

Like The Over Hang, The CI, 32 N. Court St., only had one bartender working during a shift but will bring in more for New Year’s Eve. 

“I’ve been here for New Year’s and it’s nothing crazier than a regular weekend night,” David Craver, a bartender at The CI, said. Craver is a senior studying integrated media. 

The crowds are similar to those of an average weekend night during the fall, Craver said. It’s nothing too crazy, but enough to need extra staff. 

“It’ll be less busy than a normal weekend but more busy than a regular break weekend,” Craver said. 

The CI normally has one box of champagne on hand during the year, but when New Year’s Eve comes, they make sure to order more. Similarly, The Pub, 39 N. Court St., orders extra boxes of champagne for the night. 

“We will order four or five more cases of champagne than we normally have,” Brently Jones, a bartender at The Pub said. Jones is also a staff manager. 

Last year, Jones was in Europe during the holiday, and he has never specifically come back to Athens to party. Even though he hasn’t been back to Athens for New Year’s, Jones understands why people would want to come back.

“(People) are bored at home with their families,” Jones said. “I think during the day, people will be out ready to party.”

Jones is excited to be in Athens for New Year’s Eve. He wouldn’t mind bartending, but he would rather be out having a good time. 

“It would be a fun thing to work but it would be more fun to be out in that New Year’s environment,” Jones said.

@jess_umbarger 

ju992415@ohio.edu