Texting in Class: Still there for you

On Monday December 3rd it was a huge scare for all of us Friends lovers. There was a rumor that was going around that Friends was going to get taken off of Netflix as of January 1, 2019 and every one was shook. For most of us poor college students that don’t want to spend sixty or more dollars on the box set it was some tragic news. Later in the day Netflix came out and said that it wasn’t true, aka best news that I’ve heard all month. So where did this rumor come from anyway?

It all started when some fans of the show looked under the detail sections for the show and there was an expiration date for January 2019. People were livid, some even threatened to cancel their Netflix account if Friends got taken off. Online news journals began to reach out to the chief content officer Ted Sarandos and see what he had to say about the matter. He didn’t say much but he did mention that our favorite coffee shop gang was staying on for another year. After Netflix saw the complaints the expiration date was soon taken off and all the peace and happiness was restored in the world. 

Although we get to keep Friends there is a list of shows and movies that are being taken off Netflix at the end of 2018. Moana, this recent Disney princess movie about the daughter of a Polynesian chief is leaving the twentieth along with another Disney movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl on the twenty fifth. There is a total of 42 items being taken off Netflix by the end of December 2018. It’s always a sad day when you read over the list for each month and see something that you really love being taken off. Aside from Netflix though there are a few other online streaming services that you could try and see if you can find your favorites again. 

Aside from Netflix that is only eight dollars a month there is Hulu which sometimes offers things that are no longer on Netflix. There service is only $7.99 a month but if you want it with live TV it’s $39.99 a month. There is also an option for smart TV’s that’s called the Amazon Fire Stick, you only have to buy the stick one time and they only cost $39.99. Once you get it connected you can download movies and TV shows and watch from there. The only downside is that there’s only eight gigabyte of storage and one gigabyte of memory. This can limit what and how much you download and might make some of the graphics a little fuzzy if they have high intensity graphics. But you do what you gotta do to watch your favorite shows and feel good  movies. 

Rachel Laher is an undecided freshman studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Rachel? Email her rl218617@ohio.edu.