Ohio guard Antonio Cowart Jr. drives into the post during the Bobcats’ game against Marshall on Saturday. (FILE) 

Men's Basketball: Xavier scouting report and how to watch

Ohio plays Xavier on Wednesday night at the Cintas Center. It’s the Bobcats’ first road trip since going 0-2 in the Jamaica Classic. Since the return home, Ohio’s won three straight games, including Saturday’s drubbing of archrival Marshall. 

Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m.

The game

Where: Cintas Center, 6:30 p.m.

How to watch: Fox Sports 1

How to listen: Ohio IMG Sports Network

The opposition

Xavier enters Wednesday night’s game against Ohio coming off a 73-63 win over Oakland. The Musketeers are 5-3 and are coached by Travis Steele, who is in his first season. He took over after the departure of Chris Mack this offseason, as he accepted the head coaching job at Louisville. 

The Musketeers are led by sophomore Naji Marshall, who leads the team in scoring (13.1 points per game) and is second in rebounding and assists.

Ohio leads the all-time series 20-14, although Xavier won the last meeting 78-56 in the 2008-09 season at Cintas Center. 

Scouting report

Ohio Bobcats (5-2)

PROJECTED LINEUP (Player Pos. HT., Key Statistic Per Game): Jason Preston (G, 6-3, 175, 2 assists per game), Jason Carter (G/F, 6-8, 220, 19.6 points per game), Teyvion Kirk (G, 6-4, 185, 16.3 points per game), Antonio Cowart Jr. (G, 6-2, 175, 5.7 rebounds per game), Doug Taylor (F, 6-9, 248, 8.3 rebounds per game). 

Xavier Musketeers (5-3)

Tyrique Jones (F, 6-9, 135, 9.3 rebounds per game), Paul Scruggs (G, 6-3, 200, 3.4 assists per game), Kyle Castlin (G, 6-4, 193, 3.6 rebounds per game), Quentin Goodin (G, 6-4, 194, 12.3 points per game), Naji Marshall (6-7, 222, 13.1 points per game). 

Player to watch

Ben Vander Plas: The redshirt freshman may be the best player the Bobcats have, even though he isn’t a starter. A good game from Vander Plas, who is averaging 12.4 points per game, may result in a Bobcat win. 

Key to the game

Win on the road: The Bobcats haven’t picked up a road win yet. Basketball teams struggle to win on the road in general, but it would be huge if they could pick up a road win sooner rather than later. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu