Melissa McCarthy is one woman who could definitely host the Oscars. (via @VIPortalINC on Twitter)

5 women who could host the Oscars

Editor’s Note: Click here for more Oscars content.

The Academy has a lot to consider in choosing a new host since Kevin Hart stepped down due to criticism surrounding homophobic tweets. And in choosing a talented, funny person, the Academy should really consider hiring a woman. 

In the era of the #MeToo Movement, it seems only right to give a woman the job. Women also haven’t hosted much in the last 19 ceremonies. Since 2000, only four ceremonies have been hosted by women, with Ellen DeGeneres hosting twice and Anne Hathaway hosting alongside James Franco. Here are five women that could get the job done and bring in viewers:

Melissa McCarthy

It’s honestly surprising the Academy hasn’t outwardly considered this comedic dynamo. The Bridesmaids actress would kill it hosting and would bring in the viewers the telecast needs. The only downside is she could possibly land a nomination in the Best Actress category for her new film Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but that should not be a dealbreaker. The Academy could also consider pairing McCarthy with The Heat co-star Sandra Bullock. That would be a hoot and a half.   

Kristen Wiig

Speaking of Bridesmaids, this Saturday Night Live alumna and movie star would bring a different energy to the prestigious ceremony. Wiig’s characters have a certain flare to them, and her experience on SNL will help her stay relevant with the jokes of the night.  

Tiffany Haddish

About a year ago, Haddish acted in her breakout role Girls Trip. Though she wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award, she was asked to announce the nominees and read the results of one of the awards. It’s obvious the Academy loves her — and a lot of viewers do too. Haddish is even warmed up after hosting the MTV Movie and TV Awards in June. If she gets the job, maybe she would finally retire the white Alexander McQueen dress she debuted at the Oscars in March and has been wearing ever since.

Awkwafina

Coming off two big roles in Ocean’s 8 and the critically acclaimed Crazy Rich Asians, rapper and actress Awkwafina is a name everyone is getting familiar with. Though she doesn’t have as much star power associated with her compared to McCarthy, Awkwafina would be a daring and unexpected choice from the Academy, but one that could appeal to a younger viewership.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

Relatability is important when hosting the Oscars. Not only do the jokes have to be relatable, but so does the charisma between the hosts. Fey and Poehler know exactly what to do, especially because they’ve hosted the Golden Globes. There’s no doubt the pair would bring up the rating, while also being a hilarious show. This one seems like a no brainer, but it’s the Academy we’re talking about. 

The 91st Academy Awards will air Feb. 24 at 8 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu