The Athens City Council in committee session on Monday, January 14, 2019. (FILE)

City Council: Members to discuss street closure and credit card policy

After hearing from representatives of the International Student Union at last week’s meeting, council will discuss a formal ordinance to close part of East Union Street for the International Street Fair.

The street closure would take place on April 6 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. The fair will now take place at the same time as Mom’s Weekend.

The Rotary Club of Athens also requested that council grant them street closure on April 6. The request was denied in order to keep the weekend’s focus on the street fair.

Council will also further discuss an ordinance about city credit card policy.

The ordinance would officially establish a new credit card policy for some Athens officials and city workers. This may include specifications on who is allowed to make purchases with a city-issued card and the scope of allowed purchases.

An ordinance amending code for water regulations will also be discussed. Many recent ordinances have revolved around water, sewage and the funding of these programs. Purchasing softening salt for the water treatment plant will also be addressed in an ordinance for first reading.

Several ordinances amending codes will also be addressed. Parts of Athens City Code are outdated, while others need to be amended in order to comply with Ohio State Code.

Council will meet this Tuesday at 7 p.m. 

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu