Attendants of the MLK Silent March in 2017. (LIZ MOUGHON | PHOTO EDITOR)

Week of events to celebrate legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Several events will take place at Ohio University during the week of Jan. 21 to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the Civil Rights leader who would have been 90 years old this year.

The Office for Diversity and Inclusion headed the planning of the week of celebration, with special assistant to the vice president for diversity and inclusion Tyrone Carr serving as chair of the MLK Jr. Celebration Planning Committee. The theme for the celebration is "King's Vision: Humanity tied in a Single Garment of Destiny, " which refers to a portion of a letter written by King during his time in a Birmingham, Alabama, jail.

According to the webpage dedicated to the celebration, the organizers hope to highlight equality and social justice issues while honoring King’s dedication to racial equality and nonviolence.

Events scheduled to take place include:

Monday

Silent March at 10:30 a.m. beginning at Galbreath Chapel. Sponsored by Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, the silent march will begin in front of the chapel and end outside the fourth floor of Baker Center. Participants are encouraged to bring a civil rights-themed sign.

Admission: Free

Celebratory Brunch at 11 a.m. in Baker Center Ballroom. The brunch will include dance and spoken-word performances by students, and will feature a keynote address by Cleveland political activist and city councilman Basheer S. Jones.

Admission: $15 for students; $25 for non-students

Tuesday

Artist Carrie Mae Weems Lecture at 7 p.m. in Baker Center Ballroom. Weems is a well-known and influential contemporary artist whose exhibit examining color associations and crime through the lens of police brutality is now on display in the Kennedy Museum of Art.

Admission: Free

Wednesday

Black Excellence Panel at 6 p.m. in the Amanda J. Cunningham Center in Baker Center. Three panelists will share their career insights and offer advice to attendees. The event will be followed by a networking hour.

Admission: Free

Faith Acts lecture at 7 p.m. at Galbreath Chapel. Co-sponsored by United Campus Ministry and more, a faculty associate for leadership and social transformation at the Pacific School of Religion will give a lecture titled “King’s Vision: An Essential Alternative to Now.”

Admission: Free

Thursday

Charity Basketball Game at 6 p.m. in Ping Recreation Center. Students, faculty and staff will play a game, and spectators will donate canned goods or personal items to the Baker Center food pantry as admission.

Artist Carrie Mae Weems Art Gallery Reception at 6 p.m. at the Kennedy Museum of Art. Weems’ exhibit “The Usual Suspects” will open officially in the museum’s East Gallery.

Admission: Free

Friday

Self-Care and Activism workshop at noon in the OU LGBT Center. Tips will be given to activists to avoid burnout and compassion fatigue, and discussions will take place concerning causes such as immigration reform, environmental justice and anti-racism.

Admission: Free

Arts Cypher at 7 p.m. in Baker Center Theatre. The celebration will showcase social justice-themed performances by poets, singers, musicians, dancers and more. Refreshments will also be served.

Admission: Free

More information on and points of contact for all events can be found at https://www.ohio.edu/diversity/dr-mlk-jr-celebration

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu