delfin bautista poses for a portrait in their office at Ohio University's Office of Diversity and Inclusion on Monday, September 24, 2018. bautista is the director of the LGBT Center at Ohio University.

delfin bautista removed as director of LGBT Center

delfin bautista was not renewed on Thursday for their appointment to the position as the director of Ohio University’s LGBT Center within the Office for Diversity and Inclusion.

bautista will remain on paid administrative leave through June 30 for the remainder of their appointment, according to the letter from Chief Human Resource Officer Colleen Bendl. They will not report to work during the leave period or perform work duties on behalf of the university.

“It is important to note that during the continued period of Administrative Leave, you will not report to work, nor perform duties on behalf of Ohio University,” Bendl said in the letter.

Carly Leatherwood, a university spokeswoman, said in an email that the university appreciates the work bautista accomplished as the LGBT center director and wishes them the best in their endeavors.

“The University cannot comment on personnel matters, but it is important to note that this is not a decision that was made or communicated lightly,” Leatherwood said in an email. “Diversity and inclusion is Ohio University’s top priority, and this very difficult decision was made in order to advance our commitment to and support of the LGBTQ+ community.”

The LGBT Center will continue operations as the university refines the transition plan in the coming weeks. 

The university is conducting a national search for the center’s next director as soon as possible.

There will be a demonstration on Friday at 12:30 in front of Cutler Hall protesting bautista’s termination. 

“delfin is beloved, has given succor to the most vulnerable populations on  campus and in the community, and has alway  taken stands that were in support of the LGBTQ community they were hired to help and that promote justice and inclusive community,” the Facebook event states. 

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu 

delfin bautista uses they/them pronouns and does not capitalize letters in their name.