Athens County Sheriff's Office Lt. Aaron Maynard works during 14Fest in 2016. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Bird sets off alarm; customer accidentally calls pizza place

Well, this is hawk-ward.

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded Tuesday to a residential alarm on Jacksonville Road in Jacksonville. 

Upon arrival, the homeowner stated that a bird had set the alarm off. No further action was needed, and the deputies returned to patrol. 

Never herd about that 

The sheriff’s office received a report Wednesday from Congress Run Road about several rabbits, pigeons and feed that had been stolen from their property. 

The case is still open. According to the report, if anyone has any information regarding this “unusual theft,” contact Deputy Mike Burba at the sheriff’s office.

What a weirdough

The sheriff’s office received a call Friday from Little Italy Pizza in Glouster after the staff received multiple calls from a customer with only television background noise audible. 

Deputies made contact with the resident in Trimble, who said the call must’ve been a misdial and there was no emergency. They apologized for the inconvenience, and no further action was needed.

Let him in

The sheriff’s office responded to a report of a prowler in York Township on Jan. 16. 

Upon arrival, the deputies checked the residence and found an animal that had jumped onto a window ledge and had been “pawing at the screen,” according to the report. Deputies did not locate any other suspect and returned to patrol.

Strollin’ around

The sheriff’s office responded Friday to a report of a suspicious male on Connet Road in The Plains. 

Once contact was made with the male, he said he was just walking in the area. No criminal activity was observed or reported. 

Ghostly theft

The sheriff’s office was sent Wednesday to Baker Road for a report of an attempted breaking and entering. 

Upon arriving, deputies spoke to the homeowner who said she heard knocking at her door early in the morning. Later in the day, she said she believed someone tampered with her door. No evidence was found indicating anyone had tampered with the door, and deputies said they would increase patrol in the area.

Ruff go of it

The sheriff’s office received two complaints Sunday about dogs being chained up outside.

In the first complaint, deputies made contact with the owner who said the dog had shelter and warm bedding. This was confirmed and there was no indication the dog was in danger. The case was closed.

The sheriff’s office also received a complaint about a dog being chained outside in The Plains. As deputies pulled into the residence, the owner was letting the dog in. Contact was made with the homeowner who said she has three dogs who stay inside. She said she lets them out for a few minutes at a time. There was no indication that the dogs weren’t being taken care of, and the case was closed.

Beware of the dog

The sheriff’s office responded Saturday to an open door at a residence on Converse Street in Chauncey. 

Upon arriving, the door was found open with a dog inside that appeared vicious. No damage was located on or around the door. No contact could be made with the homeowners. The door was re-secured and a report was taken. 

No trespassing

The sheriff’s office responded to The Plains area on Jan. 16 for a reported burglary. A man was seen exiting a home and was detained at the scene. 

The home is considered abandoned, and the owner is unknown. A trespass complaint was filed on the man found on the property. Possible charges are pending until the owner is located. 

Just hangin’ out

The sheriff’s office responded Friday to a complaint of a suspicious vehicle outside of Coolville.

The caller said a car had stopped along the road and shut its lights off, then a second vehicle approached and did the same. The caller felt this was suspicious once both vehicles began to drive away “erratically,” according to the report. Deputies patrolled the area and had no contact with any vehicles. No other suspicious activity was reported or observed. 

@megchriistine

mc199517@ohio.edu