Necco Sweethearts won’t be available in 2019; Ohio backup QB Quinton Maxwell enters NCAA Transfer Portal

Today is Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

One of America’s most popular Valentine’s Day candies will be missing from shelves this year.

Candy Sweethearts, previously made by Necco, will not be manufactured in 2019 after the company went out of business last year.

The halted production of candy hearts isn’t permanent, though. Soon after the company went under, Necco’s assets were purchased by the Ohio-based Spangler Candy Company in May 2018. Spangler said in a press release that it will resume production of Sweethearts in 2020.

In the meantime, you can still purchase “knockoff” Conversation Hearts from Brach’s if you enjoy the sweet, chalky treats.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

As Ohio slowly begins to pull itself out of the opioid crisis, another drug is taking hold: meth. (The Post)

OU’s Student Senate discussed last week’s Board of Trustees meetings and heard from the director of the Women’s Center at its meeting last night. (The Post)

The Nelsonville Public Library is partnering with a national organization to help teach third- through fifth-grade girls how to code. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio quarterback Quinton Maxwell is officially in the NCAA Transfer Portal. What would a transfer  mean for his future and for Ohio’s quarterback depth chart? (The Post)

Women’s basketball beat Northern Illinois 69-53 last night in DeKalb, Illinois. Here are three takeaways of note. (The Post)

Check out a breakdown of Ohio hockey’s defensive pairs and how each one gels together. (The Post)

Podcasts from The Post

Hosts DJ and Jayse talk about money management for college students in the latest episode of “Tea’d.” (The Post)

On “Leaving at Halftime,” host Matt chats with Post sports editors Spencer and Pete about Quinton Maxwell entering the transfer portal and James Gollon’s season-ending Achilles injury. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be cloudy with a chance of snow and a high of 32 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido declared himself interim president of that country amidst an enormous street protest. (NPR)

President Donald Trump announced he would deliver the State of the Union address as scheduled. Late Wednesday evening, he tweeted that he would, in fact, delay it until the federal government shutdown ends. (The New York Times)

Hulu will drop the price of its basic plan. (CNN

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu