The long-awaited fourth studio album from Vampire Weekend will likely have its release in 2019. (Photo via @SPIN on Twitter)

11 of the most anticipated albums to watch out for in 2019

2018 is long gone and it’s now time for all that 2019 has to give – including music releases. Between long-awaited albums from seasoned bands to major label debuts from artists who are beginning to make a name for themselves, 2019 seems to be filled with music galore. Though many releases have lots of information under wraps and confidential, the 21st century has shown that artists don’t need big marketing tactics to lead up an album. In fact, some artists drop surprise albums out of the blue. So, without further ado, here are 11 of the most anticipated albums that should release in 2019: 

Ariana Grande — thank u, next (TBD)

In 2018, Ariana Grande blessed the world with her album Sweetener, and then further graced everyone with the powerhouse that is “thank u, next.” Between her album release, engagement and then breakup with comedian Pete Davidson and overall busy life, it seems Grande still has time to record an album for the new year. Aptly titled thank u, next, the upcoming fifth studio album from the pop diva doesn’t have a release date at the moment. Yet, fans and listeners can most likely expect the title track as well as her latest single “imagine” to make appearances. 

Chance the Rapper — TBD (TBD)

In 2016, Chance the Rapper broke a record with his third mixtape Coloring Book. It became the first streaming-only album to reach the top 10 of the Billboard 200. Since then, the artist has been in the studio quietly crafting what we can only assume is his next project. In 2018, Chance dropped six singles including “I Might Need Security” and “My Own Thing.” With lots of information, such as titles and release date, kept under wraps, nothing can be confirmed for the new year. Fans can only hope that after three years Chance is ready to top the charts again. 

Florida Georgia Line — Can’t Say I Ain’t Country (Feb. 15)

Whether you love or hate the pop-country duo Florida Georgia Line, it’s hard to dispute that the boys know how to make a hit. With chart-topping songs such as “Cruise” and “H.O.L.Y.,” as well as features on songs like Bebe Rexha’s “Meant to Be,” the duo has made a name for itself in the music industry. The duo, consisting of Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard, is also gearing up for the release of their fourth studio album which will follow up 2016’s Dig Your Roots. The two have teased at the album with the release of four singles, including “Simple.” Its music blends the storytelling qualities of country with the upbeatness of pop and makes something that fans can’t get enough of. If group’s previous works have proved anything, the boys of Florida Georgia Line are ready to top some more charts with the upcoming release. 

Hozier — Wasteland, Baby! (March)

In 2014, it would be almost impossible to find someone who hadn’t heard Hozier’s poignant single “Take Me to Church.” With massive radio play for the song and critical success throughout the entirety of his self-titled debut, Hozier has grown to be one of the best contenders in music. The Irish musician graced listeners with his Nina Cried Power extended play in 2018, which featured the iconic Mavis Staples on the title track. Even more recently, the singer-songwriter dropped the single “Movement” and announced his new album, Wasteland, Baby!. Set to be released in March, the album is sure to be big, just like the 26-date North American tour he has prepared for with its release. 

Lana Del Rey — Norman F--king Rockwell (TBD)

Lana Del Rey is back following her 2017 release Lust For Life. At some point in 2019, the singer will release Norman F--king Rockwell. Marking her sixth studio album, Del Rey recently revealed that the album is completely finished — she even teased at a release date for a track. The alt-pop star dropped two singles, “Mariners Apartment Complex” and “Venice B--ch,” in 2018 and it seems that the full album will be here sooner than listeners think. 

Maggie Rogers — Heard It In A Past Life (Jan. 18)

After playing one of her original songs to Pharrell Williams during a class at New York University, singer-songwriter Maggie Rogers gained the recognition that has grown into both critical and fan praise. Rogers has a hit with her extended play Now That The Light Is Fading, which featured the likes of “Alaska” and “On + Off.” Both songs are once again featured on her debut album Heard It In A Past Life, as well as a couple new singles such as “Light On.” Having already performed on Saturday Night Live and supported big acts like Mumford & Sons, Rogers built herself a budding career with such a small discography. The debut album arrives Jan. 18, and is sure to solidify her even further as an artist to keep an eye on. 

Mark Ronson — Late Night Feelings (TBD)

Mark Ronson is no stranger to working on big hits, and lately the musician released the dance-country mix of “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart,” which features Miley Cyrus. The song marks the first single off of his upcoming album, Late Night Feelings. The follow up to his 2015 hit album Uptown Special, which featured the chart-topping track “Uptown Funk,” Ronson said the upcoming project is filled with “sad bangers.” Just having gone through a divorce when making the album, Ronson explained his way of making music has changed — with emotion and lyrics taking precedence over beats. 

The 1975 — Notes On A Conditional Form (TBD)

Similar to Grande, The 1975 is opting for a quick turn around with its next album. With the release of A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships in November, Matty Healy and his bandmates plan to release their fourth studio album, Notes On A Conditional Form, some time in the spring of 2019. With A Brief Inquiry topping the albums of 2018, it’ll be exciting to see what The 1975 do with its next project. According to Healy, the album will differ from its predecessor and touch on mental health and domesticity. No matter the subject, it’s sure to be one of the best albums of 2019. 

Thom Yorke — TBD (TBD) 

If any band has had a lasting impact on rock and alternative music for years to come it’s Radiohead, and especially its frontman Thom Yorke. The singer recently composer the score for Luca Guadagnino's remake of Suspiria, and he also confirmed that he’s got a new solo album releasing in 2019. The upcoming release will follow up 2014’s Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes and will surely be just as electronic, experimental and impactful as Yorke’s work has been in the past. 

Weezer — Weezer (The Black Album) (March 1)

With two singles released from the album, along with the cover art, Weezer is ready to drop its 12th studio album. The album marks the fifth self-titled album the band has produced, with 1994’s debut Blue Album starting the trend followed by the Green Album (2001), Red Album (2008), and 2016’s White Album. The album is produced by David Sitek of the band TV on the Radio, and with frontman Rivers Cuomo’s knack for writing melodic lyrics, the album is sure to be one to listen to.  

Vampire Weekend — Mitsubishi Macchiato (TBD) 

It’s been about six years since Vampire Weekend released its third studio album, Modern Vampires of the City, and fans have dealt with the silence ever since. It seems 2019 is going to be the year the indie rock band finally put out another album. This will also be the first album since bandmate Rostam Batmanglij departed from the group – though he still contributed to the future record. Frontman Ezra Koenig also dropped a possible title for the album with the alliterative Mitsubishi Macchiato. With such a long wait period between releases and all the hype behind the upcoming album, Vampire Weekend seems to be gearing up for a big 2019. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu