Athens’ Isaiah Butcher (#33) attempts a shot over Logan Elm’s Jared Harrington (#14) during their game on Friday, Feb. 22.

Athens Basketball: Isaiah Butcher gives Bulldogs mismatch against centers

Isaiah Butcher was having quite a night.

It was Jan. 22, and Athens was playing Marietta. In that game, the junior center had one of his best games of the season. He was flashing his versatility.

Butcher led Athens in scoring with 14 points that night. He didn’t do it from the low post, however. He sank three of the Bulldogs’ four 3s in the win. 

The Tigers defenders were sagging off of Butcher when he stepped behind the arc, almost daring him to shoot at times. The Bulldogs big man felt it was obvious that Marietta was unaware of his ability as a shooter.

He made sure they became aware.

“I don’t know why they stepped off,” Butcher said. “I guess they don’t know I have a shot. Now they do.”

That’s what Butcher brings to the floor for Athens. He stands 6-foot-4, sits at 290 pounds and can step outside the paint and knock down deep shots. Butcher has become a luxury with his ability.

Butcher is now at the point where he can put up five to six 3-point attempts in a game with confidence. To get there, it took a lot of hard work for him, and he says that he owes a lot of thanks to the development of his 3-point marksmanship to coach Mickey Cozart. 

When Butcher was young, he started working out at Cozart’s gym, The Brick, and would put up a thousand shots a day before he left. 

Butcher’s game isn’t just about shooting, though. He has also been working on his ability to pass for a while, and the progress has been evident in his play during the second half of the season.

In the Marietta game, Butcher had four assists, which was especially significant for a team who was playing without their point guard during that game. But even when Elijah Williams came back, Butcher was still able to find the open man with ease, showing off great court vision and a strong arm, throwing bullet passes to get the ball to his teammate quickly.

Butcher learned the importance of passing as early as his first experiences watching basketball, getting some inspiration from the biggest basketball star in the world.

“I’ve been watching LeBron (James) my whole life, he’s always been a great passer,” he said. 

He also attributes his court vision to hard work in the gym, as he and his dad would practice getting the ball to the slashing teammate to set up an easy layup. In the flow of Athens’ offense, Butcher gets most of his assists from one of the Bulldogs’ driving wing players, as there is usually a gap in the paint due to Butcher pulling the center out towards the perimeter with his 3-point ability.

The shooting and passing ability make him a mismatch to guard for most teams. In the Tri-Valley Conference, where the opponents are used to guarding centers who spend most of the game in the post, Butcher is a big problem to cover. 

Teammate and fellow big man, Justin Hynes knows that having Butcher causes confusion for teams when they switch from Hynes to Butcher, having to defend two differently styles offensively.  To go from a player who wants to get his baskets underneath the rim like Hynes, to a shooter like Butcher, causes a struggle for opposing defenders to contest with.

Hynes also appreciates having a player like Butcher to open up the paint, making it easier for him to get his baskets.  

Even with his responsibilities as a passer and a shooter for the Bulldogs, Butcher still carries the rebounding load for the team.

Butcher came away with 13 rebounds against in his standout game against Marietta, with three of those rebounds coming from the offensive glass. Butcher’s skill on the offensive boards then benefits the offense’s ability to score, whether it comes from him putting it back up for an easy basket or him using his court vision to find an open man.

Butcher, along with Hynes, is a team leader when it comes to rebounding the ball. When it comes to the performance on the glass, wherever the two post players go, the Bulldogs will follow.

This was evident in Athens’ playoff victory over Logan Elm, where Butcher and Hynes combined for 19 rebounds in the win, including 10 offensive boards.

Cozart knows that having a big man who will collect boards at a high volume is valuable. With someone of Butcher’s size and talent level, however, Cozart expects him to be a prolific rebounder.

“He’s our center,” Cozart said. “That’s what he’s supposed to do.”

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports