Every year the Grammy Awards hold a celebration of music and incredible performances to spare. It’s important to note that the majority of performances in the 2019 Grammys were from female artists, which is both empowering and inspiring. Though all of the performances were great, here are five that were absolutely unforgettable:

Janelle Monáe — Make Me Feel

Janelle Monáe is always pushing boundaries and making statements with her music, and her performance at the Grammys was no exception. With a full company of dancers dressed as robots and band members, she led the charge. Singing her hit “Make Me Feel,” she played guitar, sang and matched the dancers’ movements without missing a beat. Watching Janelle Monáe perform is a gift. 

Dolly Parton Tribute

The Dolly Parton tribute featured some of Dolly’s good friends performing her songs, starting with Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry singing “Here You Come Again.” After that song, Dolly herself took the stage to sing “Jolene” with her goddaughter, Miley Cyrus. Maren Morris then joined the duo, and the three women sang “After the Gold Rush” with perfectly aligned harmonies. Next, Little Big Town shared the stage with Parton to sing her new song “Red Shoes” from the soundtrack to the new movie Dumplin’. Finally, all of the performers from the tribute came together to sing “9 to 5” with some help from the audience.  

Cardi B — Money

Cardi B is about as extra as they come, but in the best way possible. She really delivered in her performance of “Money,” complete with a full company of background dancers, extravagant outfits and a master pianist. Cardi’s execution of “Money” was unforgettable. 

Alicia Keys’ Mashup

Alicia Keys was already killing the game as host for the Grammys, but she is always outdoing herself. Her performance included playing a mashup on two pianos. The songs included were “Killing Me Softly” by Fugees, “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon, “Doo Wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill and her own song and collaboration with Jay-Z, “Empire State of Mind.” She played piano and sang, all while giving a speech about the importance of the songs. 

Brandi Carlile — The Joke

Brandi Carlile is no stranger to the Grammys, having collected three wins in previous years. However, her performance of  “The Joke” was truly a tear-jerker, with so much emotional depth it could reach anyone in the room. The performance was simple, with the lyrics written on the wall behind her and a full band. She sang her heart out and it was clear to see she put everything she had into the performance. 

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu