Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
The Post

The unofficial Sigma Pi annex house, 45 Mill St.

Autopsy report shows Ohio University student died of asphyxiation due to nitrous oxide ingestion

The Athens County Coroner autopsy report confirms Ohio University student and Sigma Pi fraternity pledge died of asphyxiation due to nitrous oxide ingestion.

Collin Wiant, 18, of Dublin, died at OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital in the emergency department on Nov. 12. The cause of death was accidental, according to the report. 

In the toxicology report, Wiant also tested positive for alcohol and THC in his blood. 

Wiant’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Sigma Pi, Epsilon chapter. The suit alleges fraternity brothers forced him to take the nitrous oxide, or “whippets,” at 45 Mill St., the unofficial annex house of Sigma Pi and where he was found unresponsive. Sigma Pi was issued a cease and desist after Wiant’s death.

The lawsuit also alleges that Wiant was deprived of sleep, beaten with a belt, forced to beat others with a belt, punched, pelted with eggs, forced to take drugs and forced to drink a gallon of alcohol in 60 minutes.


Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2016-2023 The Post, Athens OH