delfin bautista in Ohio University's LGBT center on Jan. 23, 2017. (FILE)

Former LGBT Center director submits grievances to Administrative and Faculty senates

The former Ohio University LGBT Center director submitted their grievance Wednesday to the leadership of Administrative and Faculty Senates. 

delfin bautista, who uses they/them pronouns and the lowercase spelling of their name, submitted the appeal in regard to their removal on Jan. 10. bautista also addressed the “dangerous precedent” being established in the treatment of the LGBT community and other minority individuals on campus being treated as “second class citizens.”

“Students who have expressed their concerns have been ignored and their questions go unanswered (often unacknowledged),” bautista wrote in the email.

OU President Duane Nellis and Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion Gigi Secuban denied bautista’s previous appeals. In both responses, bautista said Nellis and Secuban failed to recognize the unprofessional manner in which their dismissal was handled.

They acknowledged that as a contract employee, they are not guaranteed renewal every year. bautista said due to their positive yearly work evaluations, they did not think their contract would not be removed.

In response to both grievances, Nellis and Secuban said the university is committed to and do better with diversity. When they were removed, bautista was told the Office of Diversity and Inclusion was moving in a different direction without other explanations. 

During their time as director, they said Secuban lacked communication and interest in the LGBT Center. bautista also said the LGBT Center lacks support and is the only office that does not receive additional full-time staff and needs updates in regards to staffing and relocation of the office.

In their grievance to Administration and Faculty Senates, bautista said their concern goes beyond disagreeing with Secuban but toward issues with the university’s diversity issues. 

bautista said they don’t want their grievances to be considered disagreements, but instead as actions that reflect a lack of commitment to cultivating a team and community in which diversity and identity are affirmed, recognized and seen as assets to the university.

“I fear more and more that diversity is not the goal of the leadership of Ohio University; the goal is conformity and an environment in which minoritized individuals and groups are to be seen and not heard or valued,” bautista said in the email.

bautista submitted the grievance along with their previous grievances and denials of appeals from Nellis and Secuban. 

“I respectfully request the consideration that members of the faculty be part of the committee,” bautista said in the email. “However, I acknowledge that policies have been set out by the university and understand that this possibility may not be possible or appropriate.”

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu