So Listen: Opinions are weird

The self-selection of information we take in within the digital age is problematic to all of us as it creates an echo chamber of thoughts and opinions — we are all guilty of it, too. We all pretty much seclude ourselves within the comforts of our own ideologies when we are online, which only makes sense in the digital age given we choose what we follow. And let’s be real, we aren’t likely to follow something we don’t like. 

When we do this, we cut ourselves off from the possibility of developing different opinions and ways of thinking through our lives. The internet is great at confirming what we already know, but it’s even better at challenging what we think we are certain of. Oftentimes, people are afraid of this; nobody wants to hear that it’s possible they are wrong, or wants to look at a take of different opinion that makes sense, but we just don’t agree with it. Thus, we stay within a realm where our ideas are reinforced but never challenged.

Our politics are reflective of who we are as a person, and people are supposed to grow and change all through their lives. Changing our politics through our lives doesn’t make us wishy-washy, it’s a sign of personal growth and experience.

I’m not saying that your politics should change, some people will carry the same opinions through their whole lives. But we should strive to challenge our ideas to expand our worldview. Even if all we do is become more set in our previous opinion, it’s good to consider the opposing argument so we may understand why the opposing has the opinion that they do. This can spark respect that we sometimes lack when thinking about people who disagree with us.

However, there are, arguably ideas that shouldn’t be accepted. Any sort of bigotry should be rejected and anything that perpetuates oppression in any form shouldn’t be within the realm of conversation. Remember, one of the sides of “many fine people” had actual white supremacists. 

Regardless if you are conservative or liberal, recognizing the opinions of the opposing side is important to the political process. When we isolate ourselves from people and opinions we don’t agree with, all we are doing is rejecting an opportunity to learn and grow as people. Everyone has their own reasoning for why they believe what they do; we will never get an understanding of people's life complexities if we avoid touching that subject with someone who doesn’t agree with us. Perhaps instead of ignoring the opinions and ideologies we disagree with, we can start to actually listen and try to gain an understanding of someone’s different and diverse perspective. 

Unless they’re white supremacists. You can ignore them.

Mikayla Rochelle is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Mikayla by tweeting her at @mikayla_roch.