Members of Ohio University’s Graduate Student Senate meet on Tuesday to discuss university and national matters.

Graduate Student Senate proposes program that could reduce sexual assault

Graduate Student Senate is seeking to implement a new program that aims to create and sustain a culture where students can be better bystanders. 

The Green Dot Bystander Intervention Program was developed by Dorothy Edwards as a strategic way to reduce sexual assault. At the University of Kentucky, the Green Dot Program has been extremely successful, reducing on-campus sexual assault by 50 percent. 

The program is also used at Kent State University and the University of Dayton. 

Because sexual assault is an issue at Ohio University, and the success rate is very promising, Graduate Student Senate members wish to propose the program to Ohio University President, Provost, Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion. 

If approved, Senate will propose the university endorse the full-scale implementation of the Green Dot Program as a direct initiative to reduce the number of on-campus sexual assault cases. 

The program educates people about the appropriate action to take as a bystander.

Graduate Student Senate will also have a presentation from the Vice President of United Healthcare Student Health Insurance. The speaker will give projections for university insurance costs next year. 

Senate will also vote on three other resolutions at Tuesday’s meeting. The first resolution will be to appoint two new members. If elected, Dareen Tadros will become Senator for Center for International Studies and Benedictus Amudzi will be appointed as Commissioner for Online Student Affairs.  

Another resolution will be voted on to amend the Graduate Student Senate Constitution. The new amendments will reduce the amount of executive offices. This is an attempt to be less confusing and more efficient in the specific duties of the officers. 

There is also a budgeting resolution which will allow Graduate Student Senate to fund $430 toward the School of Art and Design Graduate Students Open Studio event.

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu