10 different ways to use leftover Valentine’s Day chocolate

Valentine’s Day may have been only a day ago, but that doesn’t mean you can’t turn the foil-wrapped chocolate goodies into something creative and reusable the next day. With as much chocolate as some of us can expect receiving, it’s easy to let a lot of it go to waste. Instead of never eating the chocolate, try turning it into one of these 10 different ways to reuse leftover Valentine’s Day chocolate:

Popcorn drizzle

If you’ve never tried chocolate-covered popcorn, now is your chance. All you have to do is melt the chocolate, pop a bag of popcorn and drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn, it’s that simple. The flavor is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, and you can spruce it up as much as you’d like by adding a few more ingredients like cocoa powder.

DIY trail mix

Nothing’s easier than a no-cook recipe, and trail mix is that recipe. By combining the trail mix essentials like nuts, raisins or any type of seed with chopped up Valentine’s Day chocolate, you’ll create a perfect batch of trail mix. It’s something super easy and quick to make that you can share with anyone.

Barbecue sauce

If the chocolate you got was too sweet for you, try adding it to barbecue sauce for a more savory taste. It might seem like an odd ingredient to add to barbecue sauce, but you are sure to instantly fall in love with it the first time you try it on chicken or steak. It’s one of those things that you can’t knock until you try. 

Face masks

If you’re more of a milk chocolate lover but your sweetheart only bought you dark chocolate, don’t fret, because you can still use it without having to consume it. Dark chocolate carries antioxidants that are actually good for your skin, so melt some down, cover your face with it and prepare to feel rejuvenated afterward.

Chocolate ice cubes

This one might seem silly, but you can freeze your chocolate and use them as ice cubes to put in future drinks to which you want to add a little more sweetness. Freezing the chocolate is also a really great way of preserving them in case you need them for another recipe or just to snack on when you’re craving something cold yet also sweet.

Chocolate bark

Chocolate bark is another creative use for all that chocolate. You can combine all your leftover Valentine’s Day chocolate, melt it, lay it across a sheet, then spread bits of other Valentine’s Day candies on top and finally put it in the freezer. Once the chocolate sheet is completely frozen, you can start breaking pieces up and thereby create chocolate bark pieces. This idea could be experimental depending on the type of candy you decide to sprinkle on top as well.

Make chocolate chip cookie dough

Raw cookie dough is great, but it would be even better with pieces of your leftover chocolate thrown into the mix. Just find an easy plain cookie dough recipe to make, and then add whatever leftover chocolate you weren’t planning on eating. Odds are your chocolate add-ons would be a lot better than the pre-added chocolate chips.

Chocolate mousse

Making chocolate mousse is the literal representation of how being on cloud nine feels like, and you can make it with your leftovers. This super quick and easy recipe will leave you with a dessert 10 times better than any regular old box of chocolates. It’s another fun cooking idea for you and your S.O. to do together as well.

Chocolate kabob

If you’re not really the cooking type or don’t have time to creatively turn pieces of chocolate into something completely new, try making a chocolate kabob. Just add fruits and pieces of chocolate to a stick, and you’re done. If you want to take it to the next level, fill an entire stick with fruit, cover it with melted chocolate and then stick it in the freezer for a sweet and chilled treat.

Chocolate fondue

A way to incorporate multiple different foods in the mix is making fondue out of all that chocolate. By melting milk chocolate with marshmallow cream, a delicious concoction is created for all your dipping desires. From fresh fruit like strawberries for an extra romantic evening on top of Valentine’s Day to pretzels for that sweet and salty combo, you can literally dip anything in chocolate fondue. 

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu