New Music Friday: Billie Eilish announced her debut album; Cage the Elephant released ‘Ready To Let Go’ ahead of new album

With bitterly cold weather spewing outside, the idea of going out and doing anything is unlikely. Yet don’t fret, the week’s latest music releases are here and they’ll make any time spent indoors instantly better. With singles galore and even some album announcements, the weather may be cold but the releases are hot. So, sit back, relax and listen to some tunes while sipping on a warm drink of your choice. Here are some of the highlights from the week’s releases:

Billie Eilish announced her debut LP

As of late, Billie Eilish has been the it-girl of alternative-pop. Since the release of her debut single, “Ocean Eyes,” and the viral success it had, the singer has been moving toward an LP release — and listeners finally have a release date. Titled When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, the debut is set to release March 29 through Interscope Records. Eilish pulled the album title from her latest release, “bury a friend.” 

The single is a combination of a steady electronic beat with Eilish’s haunting vocals overlayed. More upbeat than her previous two releases, “come out and play” and “when the party’s over,” Eilish has shown some variation in her sound, and ultimately, that even at the age of 17 she’s not afraid of experimentation. 

Wait, this isn’t Broadway? 

When people think of the Tony Award-winning performer Ben Platt, most would think of his portrayal of Benji in Pitch Perfect or maybe even his titular role in Dear Evan Hansen. However, the singer has taken to the music industry and released his first two singles, “Bad Habit” and “Ease My Mind.” Though listeners can still tell Platt has a distinct, Broadway voice, the two singles play into a singer-songwriter category similar to Michael Bublé. The singer’s debut album will have a bit of competition with Eilish during its release on March 29, but there’s no doubt Platt’s fan will be there to support it. 

Cage the Elephant is back — and has a new album coming

Following up its Grammy-winning album Tell Me I’m Pretty from 2015, Cage the Elephant are back with its fifth studio album. Social Cues doesn’t make its release until April 19 via Columbia Records, but the band just dropped its first single, “Ready To Let Go.” The single is a funky, guitar-heavy song accompanied by lead singer Matt Shultz’s distinctive voice. Supplementing the song, the band also released a music video which is both directed by and featuring the frontman. With adventurous visuals that parallel the likes of Stanley Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange or any work from David Lynch, it’s certain that the band isn’t afraid of taking risks.   

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu