New Music Friday: Ariana Grande dropped album ‘thank u, next,’ but other artists created music this week

It’s finally here people. Ariana Grande dropped thank u, next, her highly-anticipated follow-up to 2018’s Sweetener. Featuring the hit title track as well as single “7 rings,” Grande is doing what she does best. Because of the major release, it may seem like the rest of the week’s music releases are subpar — but that’s not true. Between sultry, sweet R&B releases to some big-name collabs, here are some highlights — other than thank u, next — from the week’s music releases: 

A match made in heaven

It would be ridiculous to say singer-songwriter Khalid is like any normal 20-year-old. With hit after hit, the singer has been topping the charts. On his latest release, the singer teamed up with EDM duo Disclosure. “Talk” features Khalid’s sweet vocals, while Disclosure bring in a synth-heavy beat that beckons the sounds of summer. The song is straightforward and, while there are no surprises, evokes the mood to dance. It wouldn’t be a surprise if the single climbs to the top of the charts. 

Time to get emotional

Singer-songwriter Dermot Kennedy isn’t afraid to be emotional, and his latest single “Lost” shows just that. Though the song doesn’t fit into the category of ballads, the lyrics are touching nonetheless. “I know you’d never leave me behind / But I am lost this time,” the Irish singer belts. Featuring a lo-fi hip-hop beat as well as strings, Kennedy didn’t hold any punches with the single, and it definitely pays off.  

Let’s get funky

Many music listeners may not be aware of Lucky Daye, but those who are familiar are lucky. Raised in a cult in New Orleans, David Brown, better known as Lucky Daye, blends the nuances of classic R&B and funk with notions of rap music, all while tossing in a bit of jazz. His latest extended play, II, showcases his sound as well as his experimentation. “Karma” opens the EP and contains a more classic R&B sound, while “Paint It” and “Real Games” are a bit more adventurous. Daye also isn’t afraid of a ballad, and with final track “Misunderstood,” he shows just how to craft a modern twist on the classic song style. Daye is a risk-taker, and his vision for his music is a refreshing, well-needed addition to the music world.  

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu