Ohio forward Ben Vander Plas (#5) receives contact from Kent State forward Akiean Frederick (#3) during the first half of the two teams’ game at the M.A.C. Center in Kent on Feb. 26.

Men's Basketball: Stats that mattered in Ohio's 78-73 loss at Kent State

KENT — After a season-defining win, Ohio couldn’t carry over the momentum. 

It continued to shoot the ball well, but a collection of turnovers and trouble on the glass contributed in the Bobcats 78-73 loss on Tuesday night to Kent State at the M.A.C. Center. With 25.4 seconds left Jalen Avery hit a 3 at the top of the key, stretching the Golden Flashes’ lead to four points and putting the game out of reach for Ohio. 

Here are four stats that mattered in the loss:

52.9

Throughout Tuesday night, Ohio’s shooting held up all night long. For most of Mid-American Conference play, the Bobcats have struggled to shoot the ball from the floor. Over their last two games though, Ohio’s shot over 50 percent from the floor, which is one of main reasons for the competitive contests. Jason Carter scored 20 points and Doug Taylor had 12 to lead the Bobcats in scoring. 

11

While Ohio shot the ball well for most of the game, its 11 turnovers held the Bobcats back from their second-straight win. Although Ohio’s strong shooting performance was a reason it was in it until the end, the turnovers throughout the game came back to be a reason why Ohio lost. 

21

Offensive rebounds pulled down by the Golden Flashes. In total, Kent State scored 23 second-chance points on the night. While Ohio was out-rebounded, the Golden Flashes’ ability to easily score second-chance points made a significant impact on the loss. 

3

With Tuesday night’s loss at Kent State, the Bobcats fall to 4-11 in the MAC. Ohio only has three regular season games remaining before the start of the MAC Tournament on Monday, March 12. Ohio won’t receive a first-round bye to Cleveland, and it’s unlikely the Bobcats will host their first round game. Now they will have three games to prepare for what may be coach Saul Phillips’ last MAC Tournament as Ohio’s coach. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu