The Ohio University Student Senate meets on Sept. 18. (FILE)

Student Senate: Members to appoint new senator and commission chair

Student Senate members will vote on the appointment of a new senator and commission chair during their Wednesday night meeting.

There is currently a vacancy in the Senate Appropriations Committee. After receiving applications and conducting interviews, Alex Ruttmann will be appointed to serve on the committee. Ruttmann will serve for the rest of the 2018-2019 year if approved.

Senate will also seek approval for a new commission chair on the Members Emeriti and Senior Honor Status committee. Commissioner Clancy Thomas may be appointed through a resolution. Thomas has previous experience on the committee and will need approval by a majority of the executive officers to further serve.

The Members Emeriti and Senior Honor Status committee chooses a graduating member of senate for Emeriti status. This distinction recognizes senate members who have gone above and beyond in their work. Thomas currently is not eligible for Member Emeritus distinction.

Senate members will vote on six resolutions. That includes the two resolutions to appoint a new senator and commission chair. The other four resolutions all deal with approving purchases. One resolution would approve purchasing an International Women’s Day banner, while another would approve funding a Pride Day drag show.

Three presentations will take place during the senate meeting. Senate will hear from Anthony Ciliberto from Better Bystanders. There will also be a presentation from the Ohio Statehouse Fellows and Gwyn Scott, the Associate Vice President of Auxiliaries within Ohio University’s Culinary Services.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu