An OUPD cruiser parked outside the department’s headquarters in Scott Quad. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Student staggers down Smith Street; 911 hang-up call comes from abandoned home

Try saying this five times fast: student staggers down Smith Street.

The Ohio University Police Department found a man Friday staggering in the middle of Smith Street.   

The student had glossy eyes, was slurring his speech and smelled of alcohol. He was also unsteady on his feet and could not care for himself. He was arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending his sobriety. 

He was one of six students arrested for underage consumption of alcohol or disorderly conduct by intoxication over the first weekend of February. 

Fake IDs galore in Wilson

OUPD responded to Wilson Hall on Friday at about 2 a.m. after Housing & Residence Life staff found a student passed out in the first-floor bathroom.

The woman had bloodshot eyes, was slurring her speech and smelled of alcohol. She also was “very lethargic” in her movement, according to the report. A fake Ohio driver’s license was found in her wallet and confiscated. The student was arrested for disorderly conduct by intoxication and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending her sobriety. 

OUPD responded Saturday at about 1 a.m. to Wilson Hall after a resident assistant reported an intoxicated woman near the second-floor bathroom. 

The student smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and was unable to stand on her own. The student also had fake IDs from both Connecticut and Illinois in her possession. She was charged with underage consumption by intoxication and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail pending her sobriety. 

Crawford confusion

OUPD responded Monday at about 11 p.m. to a disturbance on the second floor of Crawford Hall. 

According to the report, officers found a student on the second floor standing in a “state of confusion,” and both of his pupils were “extremely dilated.” He smelled of both alcohol and marijuana, was making incoherent statements and could not answer simple questions. 

The student reached for an officer, which caused him to be arrested for public intoxication. Officers also found him in possession of a fake ID, and he was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. 

Up in the air

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report Saturday of a man with a gun on Third Street in The Plains. 

After investigating further, deputies found that the suspect had an airsoft pellet gun. No criminal offenses were committed, and the case was closed. 

Pan-demonium

The sheriff’s office took a report Saturday of a burglary at a residential camper in Guysville on Saturday. 

The man said someone entered his camper through a window and stole a white Xbox 360, a small Samsung flat-screen TV and four cast-iron pans. According to the report, there are “no good leads” to a suspect, and the case is closed. 

Those darn kids

The sheriff’s office was dispatched Sunday to Carol Lane in Athens for an open-line 911 call. 

Upon arriving on the scene, small children were found to be playing with the phone. There was no actual emergency. 

Cycle-path

The sheriff’s office was advised Monday of a mountain bike that was located underneath the Route 33 overpass near Eclipse village. 

A person on the bike path said the bike had been there for over a week with no reports of a stolen bike. The case was closed. 

Our best sweeper yet!

The sheriff’s office responded Monday to Wilson Street in Coolville for a report of individuals going door to door selling Kirby vacuum cleaners. 

Deputies patrolled the area for the vehicle but were unsuccessful. 

Is there anybody out there?

The sheriff’s office was dispatched Monday to Lake Drive in Trimble for a 911 hang up call. 

The address for the call was found to be an abandoned home. Deputies patrolled the area with no signs of disturbance or emergency. 

@megchriistine

mc199517@ohio.edu