Members of Athens City Council during council's meeting on Jan. 16. (FILE)

City Council: Construction proposal raises concerns over city cost estimates

Several city councilmembers said that they were concerned with the city’s inaccurate cost estimates on projects during Monday night’s meeting.

The concern emerged during the first reading of an ordinance that would begin construction on Richland Avenue. The Richland Avenue Pedestrian Passageway Project would connect West Green and Baker Center, according to a previous Post report. The project was originally estimated to cost about $3.4 million. Now, the project will total about $3.6 million, Councilman Peter Kotses, D-At Large, said.

Councilman Pat McGee, I-At Large, said he is not a proponent of the project, although he does understand its purpose. He is more so concerned with how much the city spends on construction projects.

“One of the things I’ve noticed when I’ve come to council is how we tend to throw lots of money at rather small projects, or large projects, making them larger,” McGee said.

The city was originally going to spend $1 million on the Richland project. Now, they may spend up to $1.5 million, McGee said.

Councilwoman Sarah Grace, D-At Large, said she is also concerned about the city’s cost estimates being off. 

“It does frequently seem like the cost is ultimately higher than what we anticipated when we initially begin,” Grace said.

Grace is still supportive of the project and said that it is critical for the safety of students and residents. 

“I see it daily,” Grace said. “There is a very high risk of accident and injury at this intersection, and while it is a large investment … I think it’s critical.”

City council also discussed the composting pilot program. Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said that the administration is supportive of the program. An ordinance to extend the program was introduced for first reading.

The ordinance would extend the composting program through June 30, 2019. An additional 35 households will be joining the program. This will come at no additional cost to the city.

McGee is curious as to how apartment complexes could be integrated into the composting program. He would like for advocates of the composting program to meet in front of council and discuss if apartments will be involved and how that might happen. The composting company is expected to come back to council within the coming year and advocate for a city-wide composting program, McGee said.

“I think it would be appropriate that council have the opportunity at various times to consider what to involve in our composting program,” McGee said.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu