Texting in Class: Valentine's Day activities for you

Valentine's Day is next week and we all know what that means. It’s the time of year that’s all about love, couples and chocolate. Although it’s great for the people who have someone to share it with it’s not the best holiday for the singles out there but, there’s a few things that do come from the holiday even if you don’t have a special someone.

Sadly, there isn’t one around Athens but Dunkin’ Donuts is releasing a cookie dough and brownie batter double filled donut. I don’t know about you but that sounds like heaven in a donut but after that I think I would be good for a year on donuts. If donuts aren’t really your sweet treat of choice and you’re more of a drink/ coffee person then Starbucks is bring back their cherry mocha coffee drink for one week only. It’s just as good as it sounds, cold or hot and topped with whipped cream and cute Valentine’s day sprinkles.

For the people that aren’t that into sweets at all and would rather spend the night out with some friends the Athena Grand on East State Street is playing Dirty Dancing on February 13th. Not quit on Valentine’s Day but it’s the day before and you can’t really complain if you’re getting to watch Patrick Swayze dance shirtless. It would be the perfect little Galentine’s Day date for you and your closest girlfriends.

If you’re someone that is stuck on what to do all together as far as planning a special evening goes you have a few easy options that can turn out amazing at the last minute. So, maybe you waited a little too long and you aren’t able to get a reservation anywhere and you’re freaking out a little. Don’t worry, instead of stressing out about the perfect place to eat save yourself some money and make dinner at home. For some people this isn’t the ideal choice but it’s much cheaper and it’ll show your that special person how much you really do care. And if you’re not the greatest cook in the world maybe you could reach out to a friend and get some help ahead of time. You could also get all of the ingredients and make it a fun evening with both of you cooking the meal together.

If you have dinner covered but don’t know what to get someone, don’t panic because you don’t have to spend a fortune. Flowers are always a safe bet as long as the person actually likes flowers, if they don’t then maybe stay away from those but know this ahead of time. Candy is another safe bet because there's so many options for Valentine's Day you really can’t go wrong with it. You can get chocolate, hard candy or gummy, really anything is out there and you could wait till the day after and get the half-off candy. Half-price candy is the best kind of candy.

Rachel Laher is an undecided freshman studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Rachel? Email her rl218617@ohio.edu.