Ellen Wagner will be the next editor-in-chief of 'The Post'

Ellen Wagner, a news editor, was chosen as the next editor-in-chief of The Post.

The Post Publishing Board selected Wagner on Friday after hearing presentations from two candidates. It was a tough decision, but Wagner’s experience and demeanor helped set her apart, Hans Meyer, Post Publishing Board chair and associate professor of journalism, said.

“She talked a little bit about her patience and how’s she’s learned to be more patient,” Meyer said. “With The Post still kind of going through a transition … we thought that would be a really good steadying hand for The Post.” 

In her presentation, Wagner discussed how she wants to improve The Post’s digital end. Photos and multimedia would be used more online. Wagner also wants to utilize social media as a way to improve The Post’s readership.

“I really want to see us grow to get more students to care about news on campus,” Wagner said. “I think that’s the most important part. They are our audience and we are a voice for students, so I think it’s important … to be reaching to them.”

Current editor-in-chief Lauren Fisher said Wagner has proved that she has the leadership and work ethic necessary to guide The Post in the right direction. 

“Her presentation was incredibly detail-oriented and she expressed a real commitment to make sure The Post remains a voice for our readership,” Fisher said. “Although she acknowledged the challenges The Post is facing, Ellen was able to offer concrete, positive solutions.”

Wagner also said in her presentation that The Post will have a younger staff next year. She wants to give the staff a solid foundation for after she and other seniors leave.

“(Wagner) will have to kind of build and train a staff to take over when she leaves next year,” Meyer said. “A lot of that older leadership will be gone. We thought she had a really good plan for that and a really good attitude about how that would work and how she would mentor other students to take over for her.”

Wagner is excited and ready for a great year. She said that the staff is both strong and young, and she looks forward to seeing what they are capable of doing.

“As a freshman, I did not think that I would even be applying for editor-in-chief,” Wagner said. “So, the fact that I got it is just still so amazing to me. I’m just really excited for the position and excited to see what the paper can do.”

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu