The 2,000-year-old tattooing needle discovered in Utah. Provided via Newsweek.

Fun News Friday: 2,000 year old tattoo gun found; man calls 911 about Zamboni

One more week until spring break. Here’s some fun news to pick up your day:

A 2000-year-old tattoo tool was discovered in Utah 

A doctoral candidate at Washington State University found the tool from a 1972 collection, according to a Newsweek article.

Andrew Gillreath-Brown, a PhD Candidate in the department of Anthropology at WSU, noticed a bag with an unusual artifact with a wooden handle with plant material around it with very small spines attached to the end. He recreated the tattoo pen and used it to tattoo pig skin. 

Before this was discovered, the oldest tattooing tool was from the Aztec Ruins in New Mexico, which was made from cactus spines.

Police officer confused hash brown for cellphone

A Connecticut man is fighting a distracted driving ticket after a police officer allegedly confused his McDonald’s hash brown for a cellphone, according to an ABC article

The man has spent around $1,000 in legal fees for a ticket that carries a $300 fine. He said that he was eating and holding the hash brown by its white wrapping.

“I don’t blame the cop for misinterpreting what he thought he saw, but the fact of the matter is there was no cell phone use and we have cell phone records to establish that fact,” John Thygerson, defense attorney, said.

Man calls 911 to ask where he can access a Zamboni

A Canadian man called 911 asking where he would be able to rent a Zamboni for a hockey tournament, according to a Kelownanow article.

A park ranger set up a typewriter to allow Grand Canyon hikers to tell their stories

Elyssa Shalla left the typewriter at Plateau Point in the Grand Canyon with a note “Dear Hiker, welcome to Plateau Point. You’ve hiked a long ways. Please take a seat in the chair and relax. Look around. Take it all in. What does this moment mean to you?,” according to a NPR article.

After three days, there were 76 messages left at the point, according to a NPR article.

Shalla said more opportunities should be provided to give people the chance to stop and think.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu