Graduate Student Senate met to discuss matters and address misinformation around the independence of Graduate Student Senate on Tuesday, March 26 2019 in Baker 237.

GSS holds press conference to discuss a Student Senate resolution

Graduate Student Senate held a press conference Tuesday surrounding the debate about a Student Senate resolution that GSS felt would give them their independence.

GSS President Maria Modayil said the press conference was to discuss matters and address misinformation around Student Senate resolution, which did not pass at last Wednesday’s meeting. GSS also wanted to seek ideas from graduate students on how to get independence from Student Senate. 

Connor Forr, a graduate student at Ohio University, said he was concerned about the funding of graduate students and their programs. Sen. Emeritus Daniel Williams said SAC funding goes disproportionally to undergraduate students.

Modayil said when GSS did not focus on money, but the constituents represented by both Student Senate and GSS.

There was also a concern by graduate students that Student Senate was incapable of adequately representing graduate students.

“I know if I was not in the position I currently hold, they would not truly represent my unique needs as a graduate student,” Modayil said.

It was presented that Student Senate’s current wording of their constitution currently states they represent all students, including graduate students. 

Forr said he did not think that was possible with only one graduate student representative in Student Senate. There are about 6,000 graduate students at OU, according to the university website.

“There is a Senator for the Graduate College position on Student Senate, but that position is not filled,” Modayil said.

This means another possible representative for graduate students within the Student Senate body is empty and awaiting fulfillment. 

Faustina Mensah, a graduate student, said GSS could strengthen their side of the debate by getting full support from the Graduate College on their side of the issue. 

Amie Musselman, a graduate student, wrote in a statement to GSS members, and it was presented at the conference. Musselman said in the statement that it is imperative GSS becomes an autonomous body, serving graduate students more efficiently.

“The need for this is clear,” Mensah said in the statement. “All graduate students would unanimously agree that there needs to be a separate autonomy.”

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu