Photo provided by Mount Carmel Health Network.

Wrongful death is likely the focus of lawsuits filed against HCOM graduate

Wrongful death will most likely be the focus of several lawsuits filed against a Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine graduate who is accused of being responsible for the deaths of 35 patients, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

William Husel, 43, of Liberty Township, graduated from HCOM in 2008, and is suspected of ordering excessive doses of pain medication to patients at Mount Carmel Health Systems in Columbus, according to a previous Post report. He was fired in January and over two dozen lawsuits have been filed since then.

Wrongful death is said to be the most relevant piece of the case because it applies to the loss and suffering of survivors. Compensation awards aren’t limited by the law, according to the Columbus Dispatch. 

Most of the lawsuits filed asked that punitive damages be awarded as punishment to deter future negligence. These awards are capped at $350,000.

There are 48 nurses and pharmacists who are now under review, according to a Mount Carmel news release. Their names were reported to relevant nursing and pharmacy boards. All people involved have been removed. Thirty employees were placed on administrative leave and 18 no longer work for Mount Carmel and left years ago.

The hospital has added a new protocol for setting maximum doses, Ed Lamb, president and CEO of Mount Carmel Health System, said in a news release.

@ianmck9

Im581017@ohio.edu