OU President Duane Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate: Members look to oppose changes to Title IX reporting on campus

Student Senate will send a bill to university staff and state legislators that opposes narrowing the definition of sexual assault in Title IX as proposed by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos administration. 

The new changes will make it harder to investigate perpetrators of sexual assault. 

The U.S. Department of Education Proposed Title IX Regulation plans to specifically narrow the definition to an “unwelcome conduct on the basis of sex that is so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that it effectively denies a person equal access to the school’s education program or activity,” according to the Title IX Regulation Fact Sheet.

There will be two presentations at the meeting. The first presentation will be by Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life Pete Trentacoste, which will discuss future products for campus. 

The next presentation will be by Graduate Student Senate President Maria Modayil, who will discuss the possibility of changing the Constitution, which will state that Student Senate no longer represents graduate students. 

Student Senate will also vote on a bill that will support Earth Hour. The bill will request the university join the World Wildlife Fund, which promotes lights to be turned off for one hour to show steadfast commitment to climate action.

The bill will ask President Duane Nellis, Executive Director of Events Dusty Kilgour and Executive Director of Facilities Steve Wood to turn off all non-essential lights in the university for an hour. 

Student Senate will also vote on a budget resolution to purchase canvases for International Women's Day. The canvases will cost about $22 each. 

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu