The Athens City Council in committee session on Monday, January 14, 2019. (FILE)

City Council: Members to discuss Bailey’s Trail Council and street closures

Athens City Council will introduce an ordinance for establishing the Outdoor Recreation Council of Appalachia Council of Governments in order to plan the development of an 88-mile trail across Southeast Ohio.

Plans for the trail, Bailey’s Trail, have been in the works for about four years, according to a previous Post report. The council would work to plan and implement Bailey’s Trail across multiple southeastern counties and towns. Athens would join the council, made up of all affected counties and towns, if the ordinance was approved by city council.

Towns currently in the council are unknown, but Nelsonville and Chauncey representatives have been present at past meetings about Bailey’s Trail.

Two ordinances for third reading will be discussed and voted on.

One ordinance will approve street closures for the Athens Brick Criterium. The Brick Criterium, an old Athens tradition that attracted cyclists from around the world, will come back for the first time in about 20 years. The event will take place on Friday, June 21, and Saturday, June 22. The street closures would be for vehicle parking and the race course.

The second ordinance for third reading would amend Athens City Tax Code if approved. The Tax Code will be amended to make changes to chapters on municipal taxes to comply with Ohio Revised Code.

Council will continue discussion on 14 ordinances for second reading. Those ordinances include an ordinance authorizing APD’s contract to buy new Tasers and body cameras for the department. 

Other ordinances for second reading include approving several ODOT contracts and road construction.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu