A stack of Athens County Commissioners business cards rest on a table during a meeting on January 29, 2019.  

County Commissioners passed a resolution to celebrate National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week

Correction appended.

The Athens County Board of County Commissioners passed a resolution Tuesday to proclaim April 14-20 as the National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week. 

“I’m so proud of our 911 system, the people, the supervision and the leadership that you (Lt. Aaron Maynard and Teresa) bring,” Commissioner Charlie Adkins said. “I thank you guys and the staff so much for the work and everything. So thank you.”

In other business, Jean Demosky, the executive director at Athens County Department of Job and Family Services, asked the commissioners to pick candidates for a county family services planning committee, which will cover areas of daycare, Title XX and programming. 

Jean also presented a report on employment statistics where the Athens’ household median income of $38,000 is lower than the state’s median income of $52,000, despite the low unemployment rate in Athens. 

Demosky said that she will take steps to curb underemployment. 

On April 2, commissioners toured Athens County Sheriff’s Office to figure out how much personnel could possibly be moved to the building that previously housed ATCO, the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities’ adult services program, at 21 Campbell St.

Charlie Adkins said that commissioners have been looking for a new building to house police personnel since the ATCO building was permanently closed down in November to comply with a federal mandate. 

Adkins added that the sheriff’s office is interested in ATCO building because it is closer to Albany, Coolville and Nelsonville.

In other business, the commissioners approved a motion to hire Dick Planisek, an architect, to make parking ADA compliant at the Cline Building. Planisek will develop handicapped parking with a flat fee of $1,200 and $80 per hour for additional services. 

On March 26, the commissioners passed a resolution to request the state legislature to increase the gas tax on residents.

Speaking at the meeting, Chris Chmiel said that a letter will be written to raise gas taxes so residents can get access to better roads. 

Chmiel said the only way to fund roads without potholes and bridges is through piggybacking on gas tax because there are no other funds available to repair roads. 

“It’s the one benefit we have in rural Ohio; it’s the gas tax,” said Jeff Maiden from Stone and Asphalt Bids. 

@hardikasingh28

@hs1524161@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly stated that the commissioners were seeking office space for the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.