The exterior of the Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. (FILE)

13 screenings to see at the Athens International Film and Video Fest

The 46th annual Athens International Film and Video Festival will bring 235 films from 41 countries, giving people near and far a chance to see a variety of films throughout one week. The festival begins Monday and ends Sunday. If you need some advice on what to watch, check out these films: 

Cold Case Hammarskjöld

Dag Hammarskjöld, the second secretary-general to the United Nations, was killed in September of 1961. No one had solved the case, so director Mads Brügger set out to find more information. The documentarian uncovers bigger problems and a theory that could shake up the case forever.

Cold Case Hammarskjöld will be shown at 7 p.m. Monday and 7:15 p.m. Wednesday.

Birds of Passage

This narrative tells the story of Colombian drug traders who sell marijuana and become a big part of the American youth movements in the ’70s. With soaring reviews and screenings at major film festivals, Bird of Passage should be at the top of your list of films to see.

Birds of Passage will be shown at 7:30 p.m. Monday and 7 p.m. Thursday.

Hail Satan?

The Satanic Temple started as a way to hold our government accountable and show its choices are not secular. But the church flourished and now has more than 50,000 members. Director Penny Lane brings jaw-dropping comedy to the documentary, and it just might have you paying $25 to be a member.

Hail Satan? will be shown at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, 5 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday.

Dogman

Dogman is being hailed as one of the best Italian films in recent history. The film tells the story of a dog groomer who gets wrapped up in the mob. It seems director Matteo Garrone created a film people will be talking about for years.

Dogman will be shown at 5:15 p.m. Wednesday and 5 p.m. Saturday.

Orange You Glad

Based on the title and movie descriptions, it appears the short films in this segment will all have a tinge of humor. Director Nino Mancuso returns to AIFVF with his 5-minute film You’re Accepted. Mancuso presented his film I know Jake Gyllenhaal is going to f--- my Girlfriend at last year’s Athens film festival.

Orange You Glad will be shown at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday.

It’s Complicated

The millennial term “It’s complicated” has been used for years to describe relationships. Even Facebook has that as a relationship status option. This batch of short films will aim to break down relationships — both the good and the bad kinds.

It’s Complicated will be shown at 9:15 p.m. Thursday.

Modest Heroes

Modest Heroes is a film from the newly formed Studio Ponoc, which was founded by two-time Oscar-winner Yoshiaki Nishimura. The company has brought on many directors from the prestigious Studio Ghibli. Modest Heroes is an anthology anime film that explores heroism in everyday life.

Modest Heroes will be shown at 9:45 p.m. Thursday, 3:30 p.m. Saturday and 3:15 p.m. Sunday.

Growing Pains

Growing up is tough, and these short films are tackling the feelings of growing up in today’s age. The section features stories from people of all walks of life and different social situations teenagers and children find themselves in. If you’re longing to see a series of relatable and touching films, this is the one for you.

Growing Pains will be shown at 3 p.m. Friday.

Her Smell

Her Smell stars The Handmaid’s Tale actress Elisabeth Moss as a ’90s punk rocker. Her character, aptly named Becky Something, has to cope with dwindling crowds and motherhood. The soul-searching story is a must-see. 

Her Smell will be shown at 7 p.m. Friday.

Animation Night

Animation Night is an AIFVF staple, and this year it’s no different. The group of short films comprises narratives, documentaries and experimental movies, so there is no shortage of variation.

Animation Night will be shown at 9:15 p.m. Friday.

Saturday Morning Cartoons

Saturday mornings are always for cartoons, and if you go to animation night, then you get a double-dose of animated shorts. Each film is 16 minutes or less, giving you a great way to start the day.

Saturday Morning Cartoons will be shown at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Borders and Barriers

Borders and Barriers features short films that tell stories of immigration. The films come from all over the world, including Germany, Spain, Italy and the U.S.

Borders and Barriers will be shown at 1:15 p.m. Saturday.

Departure

Departure is set in southeast Ohio and follows four family members as they face challenges in their lives. When one of them goes missing, they attempt to save their family. The film is directed by four Ohio University masters students in the school of film.

Departure will be shown at 3 p.m. Sunday.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu