The exterior of Cutler Hall, located on College Green, which houses the offices of the president, the provost and other senior administrative officers. (Kaitlin Owens / File)

Next dean of College of Arts and Sciences announced

Ohio University’s executive vice president named the next College of Arts and Sciences dean Tuesday.

Florenz Plassmann, who will begin working for OU on July 15, served as the associate dean for Doctoral Studies and Faculty Development at Binghamton University in New York.

Plassman is also a professor in the department of economics and the department of political science. He is the director of the doctoral program in philosophy, interpretation and culture, according to a media release.

Plassmann has a doctorate degree and master’s degree in economics from Virginia Tech.

Plassmann will be leading a diverse college that is responsible for about 33 percent of undergraduate majors at OU, according to a media release.

The search committee was announced by Executive Vice President and Provost Chaden Djalali in October 2018 after Robert Frank resigned from the position in May 2018. Joseph Shields, vice president for research and creative activity and dean of the graduate college, has served as interim dean.

“Dr. Plassmann comes to us with deeply relevant experience. He is a distinguished scholar and an accomplished administrator – this is a combination that will serve the college well,” Djalali said in a news release. “I am pleased that the search committee helped to select such a promising leader. The College of Arts and Sciences plays a key role in advancing the Strategic Pathways of Ohio University.”

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu