Google to help digitally preserve landmarks; Sean Kingston concert moves forward despite rape allegations

Today is Friday, April 19, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Happy Friday, 

Fire engulfed the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on Monday. Threats to historical places are becoming more common, according National Geographic. But, with the help from technology, there is a way to prepare for those threats.

Google Arts & Culture celebrated World Heritage Day on Thursday, and they expanded their Open Heritage project. The project will digitally preserve historical sites online, according to Mashable. In partnership with another organization, digital 3D renderings, virtual tours and other historical site data are available in a Google Arts & Culture network.

While the data can enable restoration of historical and unique places, it will also allow people to explore a landmark on their own from any device.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Catalyst Cafe, 540 W Union St., is committed to a sustainable business model. (The Post)

The TBT Concert with Sean Kingston is moving forward despite rape allegations against the rap artist. (The Post)

Take a look at the concert history of Athens (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio baseball will travel to Eastern Michigan this weekend. (The Post)

Here’s where Ohio softball stands as it heads into its bye-week (The Post)

Podcasts from The Post:

Swing State of Mind host George Shillcock spoke with Athens mayor Steve Patterson. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today it will be cloudy with a 70 percent chance of late morning thunderstorms. The high will be 70 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A man was arrested for attempted arson of New York City cathedral. (NBC News)

Read the full redacted version of the Mueller report (The Washington Post)

Unearthed fossils in Kenya have discovered a new giant carnivore species. (National Geographic)

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu