Graduate Student Senate met to discuss matters and address misinformation around the independence of Graduate Student Senate on Tuesday, March 26 2019 in Baker 237.

GSS will create a new 'End of the Year Review' tradition

Vice President for Finances Michael Senteney presented the annual budget report. The presentation was a breakdown of GSS expenses during the 2018-19 academic year.

A resolution was passed to show support for the Graduate College lowering of the minimum credit hour requirement for the Graduate Recruitment Scholarship (GRS). 

The previous requirement was 15 credit hours, which was unequal to those of Teaching Assistantships and Graduate Assistantships. The new credit hours for a graduate student seeking the GRS is 12 credit hours.

GSS tabled a resolution indefinitely in showing support for a bill passed by Student Senate, which affirms the relationship between GSS and Student Senate. 

Department Representative for Environmental and Plant Biology Brett Frederickson said it is unnecessary to discuss and should be tabled indefinitely. Many members of the body agreed and unanimously voted to no longer discuss the bill. 

GSS passed a resolution which will formally request information regarding funding for graduate student organizations and GSS as well as information of the involvement and positions held by graduate students on the Student Senate body within the past five years.  

GSS also passed a resolution to formalize the amendments made to their rules and procedures. Every chapter was edited and updated to fit the current needs and requirements of all positions on the senate.

GSS passed a resolution which will create a new tradition called the “End of the Year Review.” The review will be a document containing information on all unfinished, important projects taken on by GSS. 

It will be confirmed by the current members of GSS then saved and provided for the new staff of the next academic year. That is to prevent important projects from being forgotten or lost due to new membership of the body.

GSS also passed a resolution allocating $200 to the GradConnect event, which will be held tomorrow. 

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu