New Music Friday: Doc Robinson excels with ‘Travelogues’; Circle It releases ‘I Hope You Hate This’ EP

With multiple genres, ethnicities and age ranges represented in music nowadays, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the masses of new music every week. 

Just to name a few, the week’s music releases have graced listeners with Beyoncé’s live album Homecoming, the third full-length from rapper/singer Lizzo, as well as a tour de force of artists featured in Lil Dicky’s planet-loving single “Earth,” which also has a wonderfully animated music video.

Despite the influx of music from bigger-named acts, many up-and-coming and lesser-known artists are constantly releasing music that’s deserving of the same attention. Discovering new artists and bands is a treasurable experience, and it’s even better when those artists and bands are churning out new tracks. So, without further ado, here’s some new music releases from lesser-known artists you should listen to:

Circle It

Based in Cincinnati, indie-rockers Circle It have perused the local music scene since 2015. The five-piece released its debut feature length Nature and Neon in 2017 and solidified itself and the style of music it aims to put out to the world. 

The band released its follow-up extended play I Hope You Hate This. Rash with sentimental lyrics and heartfelt emotion, the EP (if you can’t tell by the title) is a big middle finger to faulty relationships and breakups. 

The five-track EP features four new songs as well as one song, “Careful,” that was listed on the band’s debut. EP opener “Bitter” and closing track “Easier” stand out along the bunch, but all of the songs are lyrically and sonically solid. The EP has been long-awaited, and it’ll be interesting to see where Circle It takes its sound next. 

Doc Robinson

No stranger to Athens, duo Doc Robinson released its third studio album, Travelogues. Falling in the same musical realm as early works from Indiana’s Houndmouth or other Athens favorites like Caamp, Doc Robinson takes folk-oriented music and makes it something more.

Travelogues, and Doc Robinson in general, is more than the exquisite storytelling and acoustic guitar often seen in stereotypical folk music. The album brings in gospel elements, brass quartets and even a blues rock vibe on tracks like “How Will I Know.” 

Based in Columbus, Jon Elliott and Nick D’Andrea obviously have a musical chemistry, despite having their own separate bands. The duo began in 2015 and along the way has worked with a lot of artists in a variety of genres. And though the two may have their own side projects, it doesn’t seem like the sweet tunes of Doc Robinson are going anywhere any time soon.

Arms Akimbo

Traveling out west, four-piece Arms Akimbo is a master of churning out songs that listeners will want to sing along to. Its latest extended play, Seven Dollar Paycheck, is a foray of different style and sound choices, all while analyzing the uncertainties of the world. 

The EP’s opener “Paycheck” is fast-paced and dance-inducing, while “Nirvana” and “Ghost” contain a more relaxed vibe to them. The band mixes nuances from multiple genres with well-executed vocals throughout the entire EP. While each song contains those individual nuances, they string together one theme. With Seven Dollar Paycheck, Arms Akimbo is here to look at life and navigate the trepidations of growing up. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu