New Music Friday: Local Natives releases haunting music video along with single ‘Tap Dancer’; The Raconteurs drop cover ‘Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness)’

With a lot of new albums, extended plays and singles out this week, New Music Friday is alive and well. Multiple genres and countries are represented in the week’s releases, from Anderson .Paak’s much-anticipated Ventura to Korean powerhouse BTS’s latest Map Of The Soul: Persona and even a posthumous release from Swedish DJ Avicii.

Other than the major releases of the week, there’s also multiple singles from up-and-coming and seasoned artists alike. Here are some highlights from the week’s releases: 

Everything Jack White touches is gold… probably

Jack White is known for a multitude of projects. Whether it’s the White Stripes, The Dead Weather, his solo stuff, or The Raconteurs, his work and the work of his bandmates is always top notch — and The Raconteurs’ newly released cover “Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness)” is no exception.

The version is a cover of the 1998 Donovan track of the same name. With an opening drum solo led by a snappy guitar riff and White’s distinct vocals, The Raconteurs’ version of “Hey Gyp” is high-energy and hard-hitting. 

With a slew of shows, including a headlining slot at the new Railbird Music Festival, it can only be assumed more music will be released from the self-proclaimed “band made up of older friends.”

Every single needs an equally good music video

Prepping for the release of its latest album, Violet Street, Los Angeles-based Local Natives have released “Tap Dancer.” Riding a high since its 2016 release Sunlit Youth, the song marks the third single from the band. 

The single is accompanied by a choreographed music video featuring dancer Micaela Taylor. Taylor’s movement coincides with the seemingly tangible emotions of the song, where her body and facial expressions are as equally important as the lyrics. The imagery and lighting of the video rise and fall with the haunting strings and sometimes muffled lyrics. 

Along with “Tap Dancer,” Local natives has released “Café Amarillo” and “When Am I Gonna Lose?” in support of Violet Street. The album is set to make its release April 26. 

Let’s get groovy with Kevin Parker

Following the release of single “Patience,” Tame Impala is back with “Borderline.” With a catchy beat and transient lyrics from singer Kevin Parker, “Borderline” fits into the same realm as “Patience.” It’s multi-layered, synth-heavy and even features similar congas that are not only present in the song but on the album art of “Patience.” Tame Impala is sure to pull out the new songs just in time for its set at Coachella this weekend. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu