New Music Friday: The Lumineers are back with ‘Gloria’; Anderson .Paak teams up with Smokey Robinson

It’s New Music Friday, and there’s tons of big releases out today. Between Khalid’s Free Spirit, a new EP from Korean girl group Blackpink and Canadian punk group PUP’s nihilistic new record Morbid Stuff, listeners have hours of music they can choose from in just about every genre. 

While there’s always album releases to choose between, there’s also a multitude of great singles this week. Folksy bands like The Lumineers and The Head and The Heart have some new hits, as well as a new tune from the new-and-improved Jonas Brothers. Here are some of the highlights from this week’s music releases:  

It’s time to get your folk on

Following up their 2016 album Cleopatra, The Lumineers — the revolutionary folk band best known for 2012 hit “Ho Hey” — are back with a new single. 

Not straying from the group’s distinct sound, “Gloria” is a textbook Lumineers song. With poignant lyrics and a tale of drug addiction, “Gloria” showcases some of the best parts of The Lumineers. From its visceral imagery in lyrics to its sonic layering of acoustic guitar, vocals and even piano, the band knows exactly what it’s doing. 

The single marks the first taste of music from the band’s upcoming album III. At this rate, the album will have no problem following up its predecessors’ success. 

This single is sweet as honey

Alternative-folk band The Head and The Heart is back with the piano-led love song “Honeybee.” Having already released its single “Missed Connection,” the band seems to be veering away from the sounds of its first three albums. The band has found a home in the groovy side of its music, all while adding some essential elements of its folk sound.

The latest single opens with a melodic piano riff and plays around with some handclap beats. Though “Honeybee” and “Missed Connection” are sonically different, the two definitely exist in the same world. The Head and The Heart seems to have a clear pathway for its music. It’ll be exciting to see what the group’s new album, Living Mirage, holds when released May 17. 

This song is sure to make your life better

Anderson .Paak is back with another single, and this time the R&B artist is going a bit old-school. Featuring Motown legend Smokey Robinson, “Make It Better” is as equally silky smooth as it is downright sexy. With a groovy bass line, “Make It Better” follows up .Paak’s previous single, “King James.” 

Along with the single, .Paak also released a music video illustrating the ups and downs of relationships. With two solid singles, it seems .Paak is on the upswing from his rather disappointing sophomore album Oxnard. But will anything ever top his debut LP Malibu? Time will only tell. 

ICYMI, the Jonas Brothers are feeling cool

Hearts have been racing since the Jonas Brothers returned with their powerhouse hit “Sucker.” The brothers are back again and mixing things up with their new single “Cool.” Accompanying the single, the band released a music video that delves into everything beach- and ’80s-related. Similar to “Sucker,” “Cool” is a song to listen to while driving with the windows down — it’s catchy, upbeat and easy to sing along to. With the band dropping singles right and left, it can only be assumed that an album is on the way.

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu