Men's Golf: Bobcats tie for ninth at Wright State Invitational

Poor weather and a sudden disqualification ended the Bobcats’ regular season on a sour note this past weekend at the Wright State Invitational at Heatherwoode Golf Club in Springboro, Ohio.

Sophomore Austin Dyson’s first round was disqualified for reasons unreleased. Dyson had originally been leading the Bobcats with a respectable 3-over-par and tied for 20th place coming off of his Sunday round.

Much like the Butler Spring Invitational held two weeks ago in Indianapolis, rainy conditions cut the Wright State Invitational short. Only one of the two rounds were played on Sunday, and the tournament was shortened from 54 holes to 36. Dyson’s disqualification, combined with mediocre Sundays from the rest of the team, led to an atrocious 37-over-par for Ohio in the first round. 

Ohio’s disastrous Sunday couldn’t be made up for, as a total 52-over-par for the weekend outweighed any progress made on Monday. Ohio was thrown down the leaderboard, but a 15-over Monday slid the Bobcats into a tie with Butler for ninth place of twelve teams.

Finishing on top for the Bobcats was Zach Mandry, who shot 7-over total and tied for 22nd place. Zach Crawford’s 2-over round on Monday enabled him to tie for 27th place.

Michael Kenney improved most of all of the Bobcats from Sunday, dropping six strokes and tying for 44th place with a total score of 12-over.

The regular season is now at their backs, and the Bobcats must focus on the final days leading up to the Mid-American Conference Championships. With less than two weeks to prepare, Ohio has to pull out all the stops if it wants to finish with a decent standing in the MAC. The MAC Championships will be held April 26-28 at Club Walden in Aurora, Ohio. Round One will start at 8:30 a.m.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu