President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Members will vote on bill about sexual assault on campus

Student Senate will look to pass a bill to support sexual assault survivors and campus prevention resources at Wednesday’s meeting.

According to the bill, Ohio University had the third highest number of sexual assaults as of Oct. 31, 2018 during the red zone, the period of six week that is believed to be the most common time for campus sexual assault to occur. 

In response to this information, the University Life Commission has worked with the President’s Council, University Communications and Marketing, the Division of Student Affairs, the Women’s Center, the Survivor Advocacy Program, Better Bystanders, Facilities and Management, the Center for International Studies and the Culture of Respect Leadership Team to create inclusive banner designs in support of survivors of sexual assault and to clearly display campus resources.

On March 27, Student Senate representatives were told that this issue would no longer be supported by the university due to concerns about declining enrollments and apprehensions that would “exacerbate said enrollment declines,” according to the bill. 

University Life Commission requests a meeting in the bill with university leadership to further this collaborative effort to end sexual violence on campus and elaborate on their decision.

If passed, the bill would be sent to OU President Duane Nellis, Vice President for Student Affairs Jason Pina, Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones, Senior Director of Communication Services Carly Leatherwood and Senior Director of Marketing Services Mark Krumel.

Members will also vote on another bill and seven resolutions at the meeting.

The other bill is in regards to the leasing of 31 Coventry Lane and subsequent investigations by the State of Ohio.

The Inspector General’s Office of the State of Ohio conducted an investigation and released a reported in Fall 2018 that found that John Wharton offered a “conditional $100,000 donation contemporaneously to his negotiations with the OU Real Estate Department about a lease/purchase agreement for a property he owned,” according to the bill.

Student Senate wants to see the entirely of this money recovered as soon as possible and that the Board of Trustees conduct themselves in a more ethical and responsible manner during future investigations. 

A resolution would update the rules and procedures regarding the International Affairs Commission. 

According to the resolution, the updates include the International Student Affairs Commissioner have contact with the director of International Student and Faculty Services, the director of the University International Council, the vice president of Diversity and Inclusion, and the vice provost of Global Affairs and International Studies in order to best serve their Commission’s constituents and remain informed and involved in all university decisions regarding international politics.

Two resolutions would update the rules and procedures for University Life Commission and LGBTQA+ Student Affairs Commission.

Another resolution will appoint Isabela Gibson to the Black Affairs Commission.

Four resolutions will be in regards to the budget. One resolution would pay for a speaker’s airport transportation, which would cost $250. Another resolution will be to purchase supplies for the Life Positive event, which costs about $86. 

Members will vote on a resolution to purchase supplies for tabling at the International Street Fair, which will cost about $65. The last resolution will purchase medical emergency assistance posters, which will cost about $52. 

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu