Ohio junior Quinton Maxwell scores a touchdown during the Bobcats’ game against Bowling Green on Oct. 20. (FILE)

Football: Former Ohio quarterback Quinton Maxwell transfers to IUP

Former Ohio quarterback Quinton Maxwell has transferred to the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, per a post on his Facebook profile.

A graduate transfer, Maxwell will be immediately eligible at IUP, a Division II school located about an hour’s drive east of Pittsburgh.

Maxwell entered the NCAA’s transfer portal in January, and he left the Ohio football program after the Bobcats won the Frisco Bowl.

Maxwell started eight games and appeared in 23 during his time at Ohio. He was the backup for Nathan Rourke for much of the last two seasons.

Last season, he and Rourke entered fall camp in a pseudo-position battle, but it was Rourke’s to lose. Maxwell appeared in six games in 2018, including the season opener against Howard in which he led Ohio’s offense to a comeback win in place of a struggling Rourke.

Following that game, though, Ohio had a week off, and Rourke remained the starter in Week 3 against Virginia. Maxwell played sparingly from then on.

During three seasons at Ohio, Maxwell passed for 1,773 yards and 12 touchdowns. He threw just six interceptions. Maxwell’s 2016 campaign was memorable when he came off the bench as a redshirt freshman in relief of Greg Windham.

Maxwell started six games that season, leading Ohio to a Mid-American Conference East Division title against Akron. He started in the 2016 MAC Championship Game in Detroit, attempting one pass and rushing the ball four times for 7 yards. He was pulled in the first quarter and replaced by Windham. The Bobcats lost to Western Michigan in that game.

With Maxwell’s departure, the Bobcats still have four quarterbacks on roster: Rourke, Joe Mischler, Naylan Yates and Nathan’s younger brother, Kurtis.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu