President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Members to vote on funding for Bobcat Readership Program

Student Senate will vote on a resolution to officiate the Bobcat Readership Program as a Student Senate initiative at Wednesday’s meeting.

The resolution would also institutionalize the program reformation committee into the rules and procedures.

The Bobcat Readership Program allocates $30,000 per academic year for sources deemed vital for Ohio University to have access to. The program includes a diverse array of news and media sources to benefit those at the university, according to the agenda. 

Currently, the only source of information the university provides is The New York Times. According to the agenda, the program should prioritize sources affiliated with local, state and national affairs relevant to the university as a whole. 

The changes would include allocating funding that will be 10 percent local, 50 percent statewide and 40 percent national to add sources to the program. Student Senate is also requesting more funding to be allocated by the university in case a large amount of sources are added to the program.

One resolution will establish a mediation director as a new staff position in the rules and procedures.

According to the agenda, there is a “clear need” for an independent confidential mediator between individuals within and outside of Student Senate and other university-recognized organizations and departments. 

Individuals who feel uncomfortable approaching Student Senate executives, advisers and OU administrators and departments with interpersonal problems and organization grievances will be able to speak to the mediator. 

Another resolution will amend rules and procedures to allocate money toward A Mile Together through Better Bystanders. 

In previous years, the Student Senate treasurer allocated $650 to Sex Week based off of recent years’ budgets, according to the agenda. The rules and procedures would change to allocate 3.15 percent of $650 to A Mile Together.

There will be 19 resolutions to appoint positions for the next academic year.

Members will vote to appoint a commissioner to the Academic Affairs Commissioner, the Black Affairs Commission, the Environmental Affairs Commission, the Governmental Affairs Commission, the International Student Affairs Commission, the LGBTQA Affairs Commission, the Minority Affairs Commission, Off Campus Affairs Commission, the Residence Life Commission, the Senate Appropriations Commission, the University Life Commission and Women’s Affairs Commission.

Student Senate will also vote to appoint Students Defending Students leadership, a director of communications and chief of staff. There are four resolutions to appoint positions to the Judicial Panel, including a chief justice, an assistant clerk of court and two associate justices.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu