Researchers have created a smartphone app that can detect ear infections; ‘Avengers: Endgame’ is set to become the highest-grossing film of all time

Today is Friday, May 17. Here’s what you need to know:

Happy summer! 

Researchers from the University of Washington have been creating a new smartphone app that can detect ear infections by using a piece of paper and the phone’s microphone and speaker. 

The app can detect fluid behind the eardrum by using a series of soft audible chirps into the ear through a small paper funnel and, depending on the way the chirps reflect back into the phone, the app detects any fluid present with a probability of 85%. 

The technique is the equivalent of specialized tools that use acoustics or a puff of air. By sending sounds into the ear and measuring how those sound waves change as they bounce off the eardrum, the sound waves travel back to the smartphone and are picked up by its microphone. If there is fluid inside, the reflected sound waves will interfere with the original chirping sound. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Here’s what you’ve missed from The Post:

According to a new study, suicide rates in Appalachian counties are the highest in Ohio. (The Post)

Avengers: Endgame was an absolute hit in theaters; here is a review on the cross-over event of a lifetime. (The Post)

The last episode of the Beats on the Bricks podcast talks about the best songs for summer. (The Post)

Ohio University baseball lost to Ball State, which jeopardizes its spot in the Mid-American Conference tournament. (The Post)

Logic’s new album offers a unique sound, while still keeping the elements his fans know and love. (The Post)

You might also want to know…

The SAT will now use an adversity score to reflect students’ family’s income, environment and educational differences to level the playing field for the test takers. (CBS)

Instagram tried a stand-alone direct messaging app, but after little interest from customers, decided to end the experiment. (The Verge)

400 million pieces of trash, the equivalent of 260 tons, were found on the beaches of the remote Cocos Keeling Islands. (USA Today)

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu