Jane and Rafael trying to manage Mateo’a ADHD on this week’s episode of ‘Jane The Virgin.’ (Photo via @pastemagazine on Twitter)

TV Review: River causes marital problems between Rogelio and Xiomara on ‘Jane The Virgin’

It wouldn’t be Jane The Virgin without some sort of unsettling conflict, but this time, Jane (Gina Rodriguez) is off the hook. 

In last week’s episode, Jane and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) discovered Mateo (Elias Janssen) has ADHD. This week, the co-parenting team is putting a plan in place for Mateo comprised of more exercise, a healthier diet and plenty of journaling. However, they both quickly figure out that plan isn’t enough to help Mateo and decide to look for better, more effective options. 

Jane also finds out Rafael is going on a date, which makes things a little awkward, but the two are extremely mature about it. However, it’s not looking good for the Jafael fans right now.

Jane spends the rest of her time in the episode helping Petra (Yael Grobglas) get over J.R. (Rosario Dawson). After Petra returns J.R.’s ring and fires all of her temps, she decides not to go forward with the hotel renovation and to rehire Krishna (Shelly Bhalla) because she was the best assistant Petra could’ve asked for. 

After trying to reason with Jorge (Alfonso DiLuca) about his behavior in front of Mateo, Alba (Ivonne Coll) tells Jane she’s being disrespectful to Jorge and to stop meddling in her marriage about the way he behaves. Then, following a mature discussion between Jorge, Alba and Jane, Jane decides to move out and get her own apartment. 

“I don’t want you to feel like you’re being kicked out,” Alba said.

“I don’t,” Jane said. “I just think it’s time for the next phase in my life.”

Though everyone seems to be happy, there always has to be at least one unresolved conflict. This week, the conflict was between Xiomara (Andrea Navedo), Rogelio (Jaime Camil) and River Fields (Brooke Shields).

Now that Rogelio’s new show, This is Mars, has begun shooting, River and Rogelio have been spending a lot of time together. River then kisses Rogelio and creates a big problem for Xiomara. The married couple get into a big fight where Xiomara realizes that his jealousy is a normal emotion, and she’s finally getting her life with Rogelio back to normal after finding out she is officially cancer-free. 

Though the couple makes up, River is still feeling burned by her rejection. She decides Rogelio will pay for not loving her, and the episode ends on yet another cliffhanger. 

It was a nice change of pace to have the focus on the supporting actors and actresses for this episode. Audiences get to see a lot of Jane and Petra’s friendship, Jorge and Alba’s relationship and Xiomara and Rogelio’s relationship. However, a key point of the show, the Rose (Bridget Regan) storyline, was missing. Hopefully audiences will get to see more of that next week. 

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

Jane The Virgin airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu